- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Make your own cactus garden by collecting pieces cut from different kinds of cacti. Grow the variety in one single flat container or in separate pots.
Cactus is a desert plant, that can survive in less water and dry weather conditions. It is the best plant to grow at home as it demands less to no maintenance with watering once in 10 days to a month, depending upon the species.
Few varieties of cacti can be propagated through the cutting method, while we can perform grafting on other varieties to seek beautiful artistic combinations of the stem, flowering cacti, and their structure.
Cacti are temperature tolerant. Many cacti species thrive poorly in extreme heat or cold. Above 350°C, plants may scorch or turn yellow in the sun. In this case, shade the plants. Epiphytes need half-shade and moisture.
Cacti need porous soil. Porous calcareous soil benefits almost all species. Lime mortar from historic buildings, strong limestone, marble, or crushed oyster valves are good soil amendments. The compost should include decaying leaves. Well-rotted cow manure is useful in cactus compost. Compost may contain bone meal, superphosphate, or basic slag. Before using compost, it should be watered and left for months. The charcoal powder keeps soil permeable and sweet and inhibits root infection. Moisture-retentive or green-crusted soil is either poorly drained or inappropriate and should be replaced.
Many hardy cacti are planted in rockeries. Sloped, permeable, calcareous soil is ideal. 2 parts garden loam, sand, cement or gravel, and leafmould. Cleistocactus, Expostoa, Oreocereus, Borzicactus, etc. need 1 part of each and crushed charcoal. Use 2 parts of garden loam, old mortar or limestone gravel, leafmould or manure for Cereus, Cephalocereus, Pachycereus, Lemaireocereus, Harrisia, and other Cereus. 1 part crumbled charcoal.
Spring is the finest time to plant and pot. Dry dirt should be placed beneath and around the roots to prevent rot. If roots are damaged while planting, cease watering for a few days to let them heal. To foster new roots, just-moist compost is watered. When temperatures rise and new growth appears, water can be given more freely.
Glazed or painted containers hinder the cacti's root aeration. When potting or repotting cactus, use just-big-enough containers. Two problems with too-large pots have two problems. When irrigated, they hold too much water for too long, endangering the plant. Roots take too long to reach and spread, delaying growth and flowering.
The pots should be filled one-third with crocks or other drainage material, with huge curved pieces placed on the holes and bottom, and the hole capped with thick gravel, shingle, or broken crocks.
If the roots are pot-bound, break the pot with a strong blow rather than risking damage to the plant by removing it and saving the pot. The plant to be repotted should be kept dry to avoid damaging the roots and crocks. Plant it as deeply as before. Unless the soil is completely dry, softly spray newly potted plants once or twice a day and set them in shade for a week, then half-shade for an equal duration before exposing them to full sun.
- What are the different kinds of advertising frauds?
- Build Your Own Botnet
- Implement your own itoa() in C
- Write your own memcpy() in C
- Write your own atoi() in C++
- What are the different kinds of gradient descent algorithms in Machine Learning?
- Different Tools To Make Your Website Mobile Friendly
- Program to count how many ways we can cut the matrix into k pieces in python
- Different mapping options in SAP HANA while importing data from flat file
- How will implement Your Own sizeof in C
- Write your own memcpy() and memmove() in C++
- Making your own custom filter tags in Django
- MySQL query to separate and select string values (with hyphen) from one column to different columns
- Construct a record array from a wide-variety of objects in Numpy
- Program to check we can form array from pieces or not in Python
- How can we put schedule for different kinds of MySQL events?