Learn Bash Scripting from Scratch
Learn to automate anything in Linux
Updated on Nov, 2023
Language - English
Duration -1.5 hours
We'll start by setting up a very simple script, then we'll move from there and cover how to deal with variables, functions, conditional statements, loops, arrays and how to manipulate text using sed, awk and regular expressions.
Once covered the fundamentals of the bash scripting language we're going to write three scripts:
- a simple universal archive extractor: this script will allow us to extract any compressed archive (tar.gz, 7z, rar, zip, bz, tbz2 and more) just by typing a command. This script will contain no more than 30 lines of code.
- a batch renaming tool: the script is going to take the folder to process as an argument, then will batch rename all the files in the folder with a given extension. It will then rename all the files in the folder either with a sequential number or with a user supplied keyword, then a sequential number.
- a tool to generate automatic backups based on a schedule: this script is going to generate a tar.gz file by appending the current system date and time to the original folder name provided as an argument, we'll then proceed to use cron jobs to schedule the script execution based on our preference.
By the end of the course you will be able to write scripts on your own to automate anything in Linux.
Who should take this course?
- Anyone who'd like to learn how to learn bash scripting to automate all sorts of tasks in Linux
What will you learn in this course:
What will students achieve or be able to do after taking your course?
- You will be able to write your own bash scripts to automate just about anything in Linux
What are the prerequisites for this course?
What knowledge & tools are required?
- A PC with Linux installed either as the main OS or in a virtualized environment with VirtualBox or VMWare
- Basic knowledge of the Linux command line, a free course is available on the Prime Radiant Security YouTube channel
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 02:45 02:45
Bash Scripting Fundamentals
Little Bash Scripting Projects
Amo lo studio ed ho lavorato sia come sviluppatore software che come penetration tester negli ultimi sei anni.
Ho iniziato ad insegnare su Udemy tramite il progetto Prime Radiant Security all'inizio del 2018.
Ho divorato centinaia di videocorsi e libri per tutta la vita, sono qui a condividere un'estensione delle conoscenze nate anche da problemi risolti efficientemente nella vita reale.
Credo che la teoria e la pratica debbano essere scrupolosamente equilibrate per evitare caotici approfondimenti da una parte ed evitare la noia e la frustrazione dall'altra.
I've been studying for a lifetime and have been working as both a software developer and as a penetration tester for the past six years.
I've started teaching through the Prime Radiant Security project at the start of 2018.
I have devoured tons of video courses and books in my life, I'm here to share an extension of the knowledge born out of real life problems I have managed to solve, in the most efficient way possible.
I believe that theory and practice should be carefully balanced in order to avoid further research to understand specific subjects on one hand and to avoid boredom or frustration on the other.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now