Introduction to C.H.I.P
Learn how to create software and hardware projects using CHIP and python programming
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
This is an introductory course to CHIP which is a 9$ computer. This course is great for those who are interested in either learning physical computing or want to use the chip as a full-fledged computer. This course only assumes that you have basic knowledge of programming and does not require you to know Linux commands or Python programming. However, a knowledge of the mentioned would greatly speed up your learning process.
If you do not know Linux or Python, no need to worry. The course has sections that cover the basics of Linux to get you started.
The chip is a 9$ device which will act as the CPU to which we will need to connect basic peripherals like a keyboard,mouse and a monitor to make it work as a full-fledged computer. The course will teach you to set up the CHIP and make it work as a low cost computer. You will also learn to work with hardware in combination with the GPIO pins of the CHIP.
You will be learning from 3 projects. The first project will be your first step in physical computing and you will learn about GPIO pins and how to use them.
The second project will teach you to create a very simple and basic GUI with which you can control hardware and thus works as a virtual remote. Pretty cool right?
The third project is an ATM greeting machine which works with sensors to greet a person entering and exiting an ATM vestibule.
The course provides error-free source code for the above mentioned projects.
The entire course course can be completed over a period of 3 hours assuming that you have all the hardware necessary. Do not worry if it takes you longer since the longer it takes, the more you will be learning and more the fun.
By the end of the course, You will learn how to setup the CHIP, install and update the various packages needed for the projects. You will also learn basic Linux commands and the python code to make some really cool projects.
Who this course is for:
- This is an introductory course meant for those who are interested in exploring the CHIP. While a knowledge of Linux operating system and Python programming language will be helpful, it is not required to follow this course. The basics of Linux will be taught as a part of this course.
What will you learn in this course:
- Creating a basic GUI using python
- Assemble a CHIP to create a full-fledged computer
- Get up to speed with simple Linux commands
- Write a simple Python program to blink a LED
- Create a simple GUI using Python programming to control a LED
- Create an ATM greeting machine
What are the prerequisites for this course?
Students will need basic knowledge of programming
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Introduction and Assembling
- What you will learn in this course 03:54 03:54
- Unboxing CHIP and hardware requirements 02:59 02:59
- Assembling CHIP to create a full-fledged computer 05:44 05:44
- Introduction to basic Linux commands 03:37 03:37
- Learning about the GPIO interface of the CHIP 03:04 03:04
- Quiz I
Stepping into the world of physical computing
Creating a graphical user interface
Remotely accessing and controlling the CHIP
Creating an ATM greeting machine
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now