- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
In which of the following compounds, â€” OH is the functional group?
- Butanoic acid
Correct Answer: (b) Butanol
Explanation: The general formula of alcohols is CnH2n+1— OH.
For butanol, n = 4. So, formula is
- Related Articles
- In which of the following compounds, -OH is the functional group?(a) Butanone (b) Butanol(c) Butanoic(d) Butanal.
- (a) Which functional group do you think can be present in an organic compound having the molecular formula C5H10O2? Write the formula of the organic compound.(b) Give one example each of the compounds having the following functional groups: (i) Aldehyde groupÂ Â (ii) Alcohol groupÂ Â Â (iii) Carboxylic acid groupÂ Â Â (iv) Halo group (c) Give one example each of the compounds having the following functional groups: (i) Alkene groupÂ Â Â Â (ii) Alkyne group
- Write the name of each of the following functional groups:(a) -OH
- (a) What is meant by a functional group? Explain with an example.(b) Write three common functional groups present in organic compounds. Give their symbols/formulae. (c) Name the functional groups present in the following compounds: (i) CH3COOHÂ Â Â (ii) CH3CH2CHOÂ Â Â (iii) C2H5OHÂ Â Â (iv) CH3COCH2CH3 (d) Name the functional group which always occurs in the middle of a carbon chain. (e) Draw the structures for the following compounds: (i) EthanalÂ Â Â (ii) PropanalÂ Â Â (iii) ButanalÂ Â Â (iv) Pentanal
- Identify and name the functional groups present in the following compounds."
- Name the group of chemical compounds which damages the ozone layer.
- (a) Write the formula of the functional group present in carboxylic acids.(b) Name the functional group present in \n
- Name the functional group present in each of the following organic compounds:i. CH3COCH3ii. C2H5COOH
- A group of organic compounds having similar structures and similar chemical properties in which the successive compounds differ by CH2 group is called a _________________.
- Name the functional group present in CH3COCH3.
- Name the functional group present in propanone.
- (i) What is a functional group?(ii) State two properties of carbon which lead to huge number of carbon compounds we see around us.
- Name the functional groups present in the following compounds(a) CH3COCH2CH2CH2CH3(b) CH3CH2CH2COOH(c) CH3CH2CH2CH2CHO(d) CH3CH2OH
- Fill in the following blanks with suitable words:(a) The next higher homologue of ethanol is ______.(b) The next homologue of C2H5OH is ______.(c) The next higher homologue of ethane is ______.(d) The functional group present in ethanol is ______.(e) Organic compounds having \n
- Identify the functional group present in the following compound and name it according to IUPAC system:CH3OH