How to Swim Faster - Starts, Turns and Finishes
Featuring Coach McGee Moody
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
In swimming events, the difference between the competitors is often measured in mere seconds or fractions of a second. It is imperative to master the starts, turns and finishes for the various strokes. In this informative program, University of South Carolina Coach McGee Moody will demonstrate numerous fundamentals, drills and tips that have helped the Gamecocks compete on an elite level. Among the topics covered are: dive starts from the starting block, the backstroke start, turns techniques and drills for all four swimming strokes, and important key points to finish a race. This comprehensive video is a must-have resource for coaches and swimmers at any competitive level.
About the coach:
McGee Moody is the Head Men's and Women's Swimming Coach at the University of South Carolina (USC) in Columbia, SC. Prior to coaching at USC, Moody coached at the U.S. Naval Academy, William and Mary, and East Carolina University. A 1998 graduate of East Carolina, McGee Moody swam on the Pirates' varsity squad for four seasons, setting several freshman records and captaining the team his junior and senior years. Moody was also an Olympic Trials qualifier in the 200 freestyle in 1992.
What will you learn in this course:
- The student will know several of the key fundamentals needed to excel in competitive swimming. The starts, turns and finishes of all four strokes will be taught in detail. Coaches and swimmers will have a wide variety of drills that they can utilize in pr
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- The student should already know how to swim using all four strokes (freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke).
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 01:14 01:14
- Coaching Tips on Starts 02:03 02:03
- Dive Starts from Starting Block 10:23 10:23
- The Backstroke Start 06:34 06:34
- Coaching Tips on Turns 01:40 01:40
- Freestyle Flip Turn 09:59 09:59
- Backstroke Flip Turn 08:44 08:44
- Breaststroke Turn 08:59 08:59
- Butterfly Turn 02:58 02:58
- Coaching Tips on Finishes 01:18 01:18
- Freestyle Stroke Finish 04:30 04:30
- Backstroke Finish 02:25 02:25
Sport Videos is one of the world's premier producers of instructional videos for coaches and athletes at all competitive levels. Our videos feature some of the top coaches and athletes in the world. We cover every individual and team sport from archery to wrestling. With 29 different sports and 94 expert instructors, we are ready to help you take your game to the next level!
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now