How to Install a Free SSL Certificate using Let's Encrypt
Learn to Secure website traffic using HTTPS by installing a FREE Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate!
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
In the modern internet age, delivering web content over a secure protocol has become essential.
Since January 2017, Google attaches a warning label to any website that does not secure sensitive web page content by delivering it using HTTPS. This includes web pages that contain forms asking for usernames, passwords, credit cards and other sensitive information.
In the near future Google plans to roll out a requirement for all web pages to be secured. Warning labels will become progressively more aggressive, and eventually highlighted in red, bold colors on the address bar.
It is easy to see the consequences of not complying with this new requirement. You invest time, money and energy to drive traffic to your website. Your users expect a secure browsing experience and will likely be deterred from using your page when they see such warning labels attached.
There is a common misconception that securing a webpage over HTTPS requires expert server knowledge and is a costly and cumbersome process.
The purpose of this course is designed to teach you everything you need to know about HTTPS and SSL certificates. We start with the basics. Exploring the theory and definitions that will be useful in developing your understanding.
From there, we dive into configuring a server on Digital Ocean and installing a free SSL certificate known as Let's Encrypt. We also explore setting up Cron Jobs on an Ubuntu server, to automatically renew your certificate periodically.
After completing this course, you will easily be able to secure any web page using HTTPS and free SSL certificates.
Who this course is for:
- No prerequisite knowledge required
- Web developers looking to secure their websites using SSL
- Students interested in learning about certificate authorities
- Students interested in SSL Certificate Types for maximum security and credibility
- Web developers who want to avoid costly fees and install a free, secure SSL Certificate using Let's Ecnrypt
- Students interested in learning the basics of SSL Encryption
- Web developers who want to direct all domain variations to HTTPS, instead of HTTP
- Web developers who want to learn how to easily resolve the "Google Not Secure" warning label.
What will you learn in this course:
- Distinguish between different types of SSL Certificates
- Create and Configure a basic droplet on Digital Ocean
- Install a Free Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate
- Fix the Google "Not Secure" Warning on any website that contains input forms.
- Install LAMP Stack on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Configure Name Servers
- Configure DNS Settings on Digital Ocean
- Check the status of a SSL Certificate
- Automatically renew a SSL Certificate periodically using cron tab, and setting up cron jobs.
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Students will require an internet connection and PC or MAC Computer System.
- Terminal for MAC or PuTTY for Windows
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction to SSL Certificates 03:26 03:26
- Traditional vs. Digital Certificates 03:33 03:33
- Types of SSL Certificates 03:58 03:58
- How SSL Certificates Work 04:14 04:14
- Obtaining a SSL Certificate 03:15 03:15
- Introduction to Let's Encrypt 01:58 01:58
Digital Ocean Server Setup
SSL Certificate Installation
YouAccelYouAccel's Mission is to facilitate a comprehensive online learning environment for students.
YouAccel is a leading provider in online training, offering courses across numerous industries from IT and Development to Business, Marketing, Design, and Productivity.
The e-learning experience provided by YouAccel is Dynamic. Each course is streamed in High Definition with corresponding assignments, quizzes, and exams that are delivered and graded electronically. All YouAccel courses are taught by certified educators that have numerous years of work experience in the field for which they provide instruction.
The courses can be taken at one's own pace and are offered at several levels including beginner, intermediate and advanced. Online courses are also compatible with any mobile device for the ultimate in convenience.
Taking the experience to a new personalized level, live communication with instructors is available through Tutorial Point's online messaging console. All courses come with a certificate of completion and no age restrictions apply.
YouAccel strongly believes that the future of online learning will be through open community based initiatives, where everyone’s voice is equally heard. This is exactly what YouAccel strives to achieve – an inclusive environment for all students and passionate learners.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now