- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How far it is justifiable to change the name of cities, considering the financial cost it involves?
The good old historical names of Indian cities have been changed by Muslim invaders and later by the British for their convenience. We, Indians had to accept and are used to these names for the past 200 - 500 years.
The renaming of these cities was proposed in 1947, soon after India got Independence. After a lot of controversies, many of the proposed changes were not accepted by the Central Government. However, over the time many changes are accepted and names of the cities are changed back to their original names, Trivandrum - Thiruvananthapuram, Bombay - Mumbai, Madras - Chennai, Cochin - Kochi and so on. The most recent changes were of Orissa - Odisha, and Pondicherry - Puducherry.
Lately, a lot of buzz is going on to rename Allahabad as Prayag. The name Prayag has got a lot of history behind and was mentioned even in Vedas and Puranas as Lord Brahma is said to have performed the first Yagna there. Prayag was changed to Illahi-bad by Mughal king Akbar during his reign. Now the politicians and activists are demanding it to be renamed as Prayagraj.
Coming to the facts, even though Madras is renamed as Chennai, still the Madras High Court holds its old name. The same case with IIT Madras. The Mumbai Stock Exchange is still called as Bombay Stock Exchange. The names and brands are deep routed in Business and it may affect them adversely if the names are changed. Moreover, it sows confusion and involves huge costs. There are many things to be changed, Rail and Roadway signs, stationery and paperwork across the country have to be updated.
Although modern thinkers may opine that the entire process is a waste of money and investment, following the sentiments of millions of Indians, the names of cities have to be changed back to their original names to retain the culture and heritage of India.
- Maximum value with the choice of either dividing or considering as it is in C++
- What is Killer Bees Financial Strategy and How to implement it?
- Maximum value with the choice of either dividing or considering as it is in C++ program
- How to use the name of the current database to delete it in MySQL?
- How much does it cost to deploy applications on the Google Play Store?
- How much does it cost to make an iOS app?
- Connecting Cities With Minimum Cost in Python
- How many public classes of the same name it can have in Java?
- How Change Management Works in IT Industry
- Is it possible to have View and table with the same name in MySQL?
- Is the concept of resveratrol true? How does it help?