Fun Reading With Phonics
Helping children with early years reading
Updated on Dec, 2023
Language - English
Duration -1 hours
Reading is an absolutely essential life skill that will enable future success, in school, college and later in work. This course is designed to help you understand the basics of using phonics as a key reading strategy. It provides an overall introduction to phonics and gives you tools to use that will help lay down a foundation for reading fluency.
In each section we discuss reasons for using phonics. You will find lots of very colourful resources (with a value of more than $70) that will give you hands-on practise. You can download directly from within the course itself and they are free for you to use.
Working through four critical stages
1. You will get used to using the sounds of the alphabet, rather than letter names.
2. You will help your child to match sounds to letters
3. As you progress you will learn how to sequence phonemes, and use resources such as picture cues, and some crazy, crazy actions (TPR) that your child will love to engage with.
4. You will explore and learn techniques to present the first 100 high frequency words (sight words), that are a bit 'tricky' because they can't be decoded.
5. You will move on to digraphs that can be a bit challenging. Here you'll understand the different types of digraphs and how to show your child so they can begin to read more complex words and texts.
Your lead instructor for the course, Brenda Martin is a literacy a specialist and primary/elementary school teacher with more than 35 years experience in the UK and overseas with many international children. Brenda simplifies the use of phonics for you the parent, and for teachers who are new to phonics. With a wide range of resources for you to download and use, work along with Brenda and quickly master the steps to teach your children to read in a way that is motivating and fun for both kids and adults alike.
Brenda's relaxed manner, clear knowledge and expertise makes this course a must for anyone who wants to provide early reading support to their children.
What will you learn in this course:
- By the end of this course if you work through the four critical stages
- You will learn to use the sounds of the alphabet rather than letter names and teach children to do the same
- You will be able to guide children and help them learn to match sounds to letters
- You will learn how to sequence phonemes, using resources such as picture cues, and some crazy, crazy actions (TPR) that your child will love to engage with and will help improve learning retention.
- You will explore and learn techniques for presenting the first 100 English high-frequency words (sight words), that are a bit 'tricky' because they can't be decoded using phonics.
- You will be able to apply similar techniques to 'digraphs' that can be complex and challenging.
- Ultimately you will have a bank of resources, techniques and strategies to support children in their early years journey to becoming fluent readers.
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- The belief is that every child has the right to learn the vital life skill of reading
- Motivation, a sense of fun, and adventure
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Module 1: Rationale of Teaching Phonics
- What's In It For Me? 01:53 01:53
- Phonics V Phonetics 02:14 02:14
- Key Aspects of Phonics 01:06 01:06
- Sequencing Phonemes 03:54 03:54
- Segmenting and Blending 00:35 00:35
- Module 1 Resources
Module 2: Theory and Practise
Module 3: Segmenting and Blending
Module 4: High Frequency Words
Module 5: Diagraphs
Module 6 Course Summary
I am a professionally qualified Education Specialist. I consider my mission as helping to enable my clients to fulfil their potential.
Beginning my career in Human Resource Development (Training ) I have worked with employees in relation to skills development, resume analysis, talent and progression. I consult on curriculum design and implementation from elementary to higher education.
A hugely competent teacher trainer and educator I have consolidated my expertise from over 30 years of professional experience.
I now specialise in
1. Career Change Coaching: for teachers and educators who have arrived at a transition point
2. Education & Training Consulting: working with public and private organisations to support curriculum & materials design and development
Having worked in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, my clients come from all walks of life including university undergraduates to PhD level, and international business professionals .
Now with more than 30+ years’ experience I am still totally passionate about what I do and believe that everyone has the potential to achieve great things.
I love the opportunities that platforms such as Udemy provide for both students and instructors.
Today I am the the co-author on Udemy of Fun Reading With Phonics developed after 5 years training elementary level teachers in Malaysian state schools. It was fun to create and now I hope that for you it's fun to learn
I very much look forward to working with you :-)
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now