- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Find out about Bt cotton from an agriculture expert. Prepare a short note on its advantages/disadvantages.
Bt Cotton is a GM Crop (genetically modified crop) engineered for being a pest-resistant cotton variety. This GM Crop produces an insecticide to combat bollworm infection.
It is known as Bt Cotton because it is genetically modified through the insertion of one or more genes from the soil bacterium, Bacillus thuringiensis.
The advantages and disadvantages of Bt Cotton are as follows:
|The yield of cotton crops increases due to effective control of bollworms infection.||The cost of Bt cotton seed is comparatively higher.|
|Usage of insecticide is reduced in the cultivation of Bt cotton crops.||The effectiveness of the plant retains only for 120 days. After that effectiveness gets reduced.|
|Reduction in the cost of crop cultivation.||Ineffective against pests like aphids and whitefly. This plant also proves toxic to pollinating insects.|
- What is OLAP? Explain its advantages and disadvantages
- What is the hedge ratio? Explain its advantages and disadvantages.
- DDBMS Advantages and Disadvantages
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Subnetting
- Advantages and Disadvantages of VoIP
- What is a Trolleybus? – Advantages and Disadvantages
- What is an Open Source Software? (Definition, Advantages and Disadvantages)
- Advantages and Disadvantages of International Marketing
- What is an Electric Drive? – Block Diagram, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Advantages and Disadvantages of the OSI Model
- Advantages and disadvantages of arrays in Java
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of DBMS?
- Synchronous Motor: Features, Applications, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Explain about the long position and short position
- Advantages and Disadvantages of the TCP/IP Model