- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Ethane, with the molecular formula C2H6, has
(a) 6 covalent bonds
7 covalent bonds
(c) 8 covalent bonds
(d) 9 covalent bonds.
Correct Answer: (b) 7 covalent bonds
Explanation: Ethane, with the molecular formula C2H6, has 7 covalent bonds. The structural formula of ethane (C2H6) is given below:
[Extra information: A homologous series is a group of organic compounds having similar structures and similar chemical properties in which the successive compounds differ by -CH2 group. The molecular formula of the 2nd and the 3rd member of the homologous series whose first member is methane are: Ethane (C2H6) and Propane (C3H8).
Example: All the alkanes have similar structures with single covalent bonds and show similar chemical properties, so they can be grouped together in the form of a homologous series.
The hydrocarbons which are members of the same homologous series are:
Alkanes: C3H8, C4H10
Alkenes: C5H10, C8H16
Alkynes: C6H10, C7H12
Uses: Ethane has a large range of applications. It is the second most abundant natural gas component and is used in many homes. It is also used for the production of ethylene, which is used in the manufacture of goods such as plastic, automotive antifreeze, and detergent.]
- Rating of Bonds - Investment Grade, Speculative, and Junk Bonds
- Differentiate stock and bonds.
- Write the difference between debentures and bonds.
- What are pure discount bonds?
- What is Wireless Fidelity 6 (WiFi 6)?
- jQuery has() with Examples
- What is Defect Density? Formula to calculate with Example
- Sum of the series 2 + (2+4) + (2+4+6) + (2+4+6+8) + ... + (2+4+6+8+...+2n) in C++
- jQuery :has() Selector with example
- MongoDB query to update each field of documents in collection with a formula?
- What is the secret formula of Coca-Cola?
- Using Rounding formula in SAP
- Instantaneous and Average Power Formula
- Mutual Inductance: Definition & Formula
- Class declaration with a method that has a parameter in Java
- 6 ways to hold a virtual group meeting