Equality, diversity and inclusion
How to tackle and avoid discrimination
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
The field of equality, diversity and inclusion is a very complex one, but also one that has been characterized by considerable oversimplification over the years that has led to a number of problems. This introductory course has therefore been developed to clarify what the important issues are and move away from the mistakes of the past and establish a much firmer understanding of what needs to be done to develop and maintain workplaces rooted in fairness and an appreciation of what different people can bring.
The course consists of three video-based lessons, each emphasizing a different set of key points:
- Why promote equality, diversity and inclusion? This lesson clarifies the rationale for paying attention to the issues involved and also offers important definitions of the key terms (equality, diversity, inclusion) to avoid misunderstanding.
- Learning from past mistakes Historically our track record in addressing these issues has been mixed. While we have made good progress in some respects, we also have to acknowledge that some of the steps taken in the name of equality have been ineffective and have even created additional problems. This lesson therefore focuses on what can be learned from those mistakes.
- Pitfalls to avoid Continuing the ‘learning from mistakes’ theme, this lesson identifies a number of pitfalls to avoid to make sure that our efforts to promote equality, diversity and inclusion are as effective as possible.
There is also a module companion workbook that you will need to print out before you start the course. It contains space for notes plus an exercise relating to each of the three lessons. This is an important resource for you, as it will help to extend and consolidate your understanding and provide you with a set of notes to act as a reference source for future development.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in promoting equality, diversity and inclusion
What will you learn in this course:
Be better equipped to tackle the complex and sensitive issues relating to discrimination
Appreciate the harm that discrimination can do, even when unintentional
Be clear about what the terms equality, diversity and inclusion mean and appreciate why they are important
Avoid some of the common pitfalls associated with these issues
What are the prerequisites for this course?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge is required
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 02:47 02:47
- Module Companion E-Workbook
Why promote equality, diversity and inclusion?
Pitfalls to avoid
Dr Neil Thompson is a highly experienced tutor and trainer. He is highly respected for his ability to explain complex ideas clearly and effectively. His gentle voice and unhurried approach are widely appreciated by online learners as will as attendees at his conferences and workshops.
He is an independent writer, educator and adviser based in Wales. He is also a visiting professor at the Open University in the UK.. He is a well-published author with over 200 publications to his name, including over 40 books, several of which are bestsellers. He has been a speaker at conferences in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Norway, the Netherlands, Greece, the Czech Republic, Turkey, Hong Kong, India, the United States, Canada and Australia.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now