- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Elements with valency 1 are
(a) always metals
(b) always metalloids
(c) either metals or non-metals
(d) always non-metals
Correct Answer: (c) either metals or non-metals
Explanation: Metals and non-metals both can have valency 1. Sodium has a positive valency of +1, it is a metal. Chlorine has a negative valency of -1, it is a non-metal.
[Extra information: The valency of an element is the number of hydrogen atoms that can combine with or replace (either directly or indirectly) one atom of the element.]
- Related Articles
- Elements having valency 'one' are :(a) always metals(b) always non-metals(c) always metalloids(d) either metals or non-metals
- Three elements B, Si and Ge are(a) metals(b) non-metals(c) metalloids(d) metal, non-metal and metalloid respectively
- (a) What are metals? Name five metals.(b) What are non-metals? Name five non-metals.
- (a) What are (i) metals (ii) non-metals, and (iii) metalloids ?Give two examples each of metals, non-metals and metalloids.(b) Classify the following into metals, non-metals and metalloids :Silicon, Mercury, Diamond, Sulphur, Iodine, Germanium, Sodium, Carbon, Magnesium, Copper, Boron, Helium
- Which of the following statements is correct?(a) All metals are ductile.(b) All non-metals are ductile.(c) Generally, metals are ductile.(d) Some non-metals are ductile.
- Metals are (softer/harder) than non-metals.
- (Metals/non-metals) display lustre.
- Why are metals called electropositive elements whereas non-metals are called electronegative elements?
- Difference between Metals and Non-Metals
- Which of the following statements is correct?All metals are ductile.All non-metals are ductile.Generally, metals are ductile.Some non-metals are ductile.
- What are non metals?
- Which type of elements, metals or non-metals, show the property of brittleness ?
- Write uses of metals and non metals.
- What are the chemical properties of metals and non-metals?
- How can we classify metals and non-metals?