Practical System Programming for Rust Developers
Build fast and secure software for Linux/Unix systems with the help of practical examples
About the Book
Explore various Rust features, data structures, libraries, and toolchain to build modern systems software with the help of hands-on examples
- Learn techniques to design and build system tools and utilities in Rust
- Explore the different features of the Rust standard library for interacting with operating systems
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the Rust programming language by writing low-level software
The book takes a unique approach by starting each topic with Linux kernel concepts and APIs relevant to that topic. You’ll also explore how system resources can be controlled from Rust. As you progress, you’ll delve into advanced topics. You’ll cover network programming, focusing on aspects such as working with low-level network primitives and protocols in Rust, before going on to learn how to use and compile Rust with WebAssembly. Later chapters will take you through practical code examples and projects to help you build on your knowledge.
By the end of this Rust programming book, you will be equipped with practical skills to write systems software tools, libraries, and utilities in Rust.
What you will learn
- Gain a solid understanding of how system resources are managed
- Use Rust confidently to control and operate a Linux or Unix system
- Understand how to write a host of practical systems software tools and utilities
- Delve into memory management with the memory layout of Rust programs
- Discover the capabilities and features of the Rust Standard Library
- Explore external crates to improve productivity for future Rust programming projects
Who this book is for
This book is for developers with basic knowledge of Rust but little to no knowledge or experience of systems programming. System programmers who want to consider Rust as an alternative to C or C++ will also find this book useful.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now