Practical Node-RED Programming
Learn powerful visual programming techniques and best practices for the web and IoT
About the Book
Use a low-code programming approach to create event-driven applications from scratch by wiring together hardware devices, APIs, and online services
- Discover how you can automate the Internet of Things (IoT) without writing huge blocks of code
- Learn how to wire together flows using a browser-based visual editor
- Handle IoT data with little to no coding knowledge
Node-RED is a free and open source flow-based programming tool used to handle IoT data that allows programmers of any level to interconnect physical I/O, cloud-based systems, databases, and APIs to build web applications without code.
Practical Node-RED Programming is a comprehensive introduction for anyone looking to get up to speed with the Node-RED ecosystem in no time. Complete with hands-on tutorials, projects, and self-assessment questions, this easy-to-follow guide will help you to become well versed in the foundations of Node-RED. You’ll learn how to use Node-RED to handle IoT data and build web applications without having to write complex code. Once you’ve covered the basics, you’ll explore various visual programming techniques and find out how to make sample flows as you cover web development, IoT development, and cloud service connections, and finally build useful real-world applications.
By the end of this book, you’ll have learned how to use Node-RED to develop a real-world application from scratch, which can then be implemented in your business.
What you will learn
- Understand the history of Node-RED and why you need to learn a flow-based programming tool
- Use Node-RED to build Node.js-based applications
- Handle data for IoT devices using Node-RED flows
- Explore advanced Node-RED features such as connecting repositories and customizing the flow editor
- Find out what the MQTT protocol is and how it relates to Node-RED
- Create and publish your own nodes and flows using the Node-RED library
Who this book is for
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now