Power Query Cookbook
Power Query Cookbook
About the Book
Leverage your source data from hundreds of different connections, perform millions of different transformations, and easily manage highly complex data lifecycles with Power Query
- Collect, combine, and transform data using Power Query's data connectivity and data preparation features
- Overcome the problems faced while accessing data from multiple sources and reshape it to meet your business requirements
- Explore how the M language can be used to write your own customized solutions
Power Query is a data preparation tool that enables data engineers and business users to connect, reshape, enrich, and transform their data to facilitate relevant business insights and analysis. With Power Query's wide range of features, you can perform no-code transformations and complex M code functions at the same time to get the most out of your data.
This Power Query book will help you to connect to data sources, achieve intuitive transformations, and get to grips with preparation practices. Starting with a general overview of Power Query and what it can do, the book advances to cover more complex topics such as M code and performance optimization. You'll learn how to extend these capabilities by gradually stepping away from the Power Query GUI and into the M programming language. Additionally, the book also shows you how to use Power Query Online within Power BI Dataflows.
By the end of the book, you'll be able to leverage your source data, understand your data better, and enrich it with a full stack of no-code and custom features that you'll learn to design by yourself for your business requirements.
What you will learn
- Understand how to use Power Query to connect and explore data
- Explore ways to reshape and enrich data
- Discover the potential of Power Query across the Microsoft platform
- Build complex and custom transformations
- Use M code to write new queries against data sources
- Use the Power Query Online tool within Power BI Dataflows
- Implement best practices such as reusing dataflows, optimizing expanding table operations, and field mapping
Who this book is for
This book is for data analysts, BI developers, data engineers, and anyone looking for a desk reference guide to learn how Power Query can be used with different Microsoft products to handle data of varying complexity. Beginner-level knowledge of Power BI and the M Language will help you to get the best out of this book.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now