Over 110 practical recipes for programming embedded systems and microcontrollers with Python
About the Book
Learn how you can control LEDs, make music, and read sensor data using popular microcontrollers such as Adafruit Circuit Playground, ESP8266, and the BBC micro:bit
- Load and execute your first program with MicroPython
- Program an IoT device to retrieve weather data using a RESTful API
- Get to grips with integrating hardware, programming, and networking concepts with MicroPython
MicroPython is an open source implementation of Python 3 that runs in embedded environments. With MicroPython, you can write clean and simple Python code to control hardware instead of using complex low-level languages like C and C++. This book guides you through all the major applications of the MicroPython platform to build and program projects that use microcontrollers.
The MicroPython book covers recipes that’ll help you experiment with the programming environment and hardware programmed in MicroPython. You’ll find tips and techniques for building a variety of objects and prototypes that can sense and respond to touch, sound, position, heat, and light. This book will take you through the uses of MicroPython with a variety of popular input devices and sensors. You’ll learn techniques for handling time delays and sensor readings, and apply advanced coding techniques to create complex projects. As you advance, you’ll get to deal with Internet of Things (IoT) devices and integration with other online web services. Furthermore, you'll also use MicroPython to make music with bananas and create portable multiplayer video games that incorporate sound and light animations into the game play.
By the end of the book, you'll have mastered tips and tricks to troubleshoot your development problems and push your MicroPython project to the next level!
What you will learn
- Execute code without any need for compiling or uploading using REPL (read-evaluate-print-loop)
- Program and control LED matrix and NeoPixel drivers to display patterns and colors
- Build projects that make use of light, temperature, and touch sensors
- Configure devices to create Wi-Fi access points and use network modules to scan and connect to existing networks
- Use Pulse Width Modulation to control DC motors and servos
- Build an IoT device to display live weather data from the Internet at the touch of a button
Who this book is for
If you want to build and program projects that use microcontrollers, this book will offer you dozens of recipes to guide you through all the major applications of the MicroPython platform. Although no knowledge of MicroPython or microcontrollers is expected, a general understanding of Python is necessary to get started with this book.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now