Learn SQL Database Programming
Query and manipulate databases from popular relational database servers using SQL
About the Book
Learn everything you need to know to build efficient SQL queries using this easy-to-follow beginner’s guide
- Explore all SQL statements in depth using a variety of examples
- Get to grips with database querying, data aggregate, manipulation, and much more
- Understand how to explore and process data of varying complexity to tell a story
SQL is a powerful querying language that's used to store, manipulate, and retrieve data, and it is one of the most popular languages used by developers to query and analyze data efficiently.
If you're looking for a comprehensive introduction to SQL, Learn SQL Database Programming will help you to get up to speed with using SQL to streamline your work in no time. Starting with an overview of relational database management systems, this book will show you how to set up and use MySQL Workbench and design a database using practical examples. You'll also discover how to query and manipulate data with SQL programming using MySQL Workbench. As you advance, you’ll create a database, query single and multiple tables, and modify data using SQL querying. This SQL book covers advanced SQL techniques, including aggregate functions, flow control statements, error handling, and subqueries, and helps you process your data to present your findings. Finally, you’ll implement best practices for writing SQL and designing indexes and tables.
By the end of this SQL programming book, you’ll have gained the confidence to use SQL queries to retrieve and manipulate data.
What you will learn
- Install, configure, and use MySQL Workbench to restore a database
- Explore different data types such as string, numeric, and date and time
- Query a single table using the basic SQL SELECT statement and the FROM, WHERE, and ORDER BY clauses
- Query multiple tables by understanding various types of table relationships
- Modify data in tables using the INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements
- Use aggregate functions to group and summarize data
- Detect bad data, duplicates, and irrelevant values while processing data
Who this book is for
This book is for business analysts, SQL developers, database administrators, and students learning SQL. If you want to learn how to query and manipulate SQL data for database administration tasks or simply extract and organize relevant data for analysis, you’ll find this book useful. No prior SQL experience is required.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now