About the Book
Learn to track, branch, merge, and manage code revisions for real-world development scenarios
- Master Git and maintain your projects better through version control
- Get to grips with Git’s typical workflows, advanced functions, and their implementations
- Learn the key Git commands to better manage your repository
Whether you’re looking for a book to deepen your understanding of Git or a refresher, this book is the ultimate guide to Git.
Git for Programmers comprehensively equips you with actionable insights on advanced Git concepts in an engaging and straightforward way. As you progress through the chapters, you’ll gain expertise (and confidence) on Git with lots of practical use cases.
After a quick refresher on git history and installation, you’ll dive straight into the creation and cloning of your repository. You’ll explore Git places, branching, and GUIs to get familiar with the fundamentals. Then you’ll learn how to handle merge conflicts, rebase, amend, interactive rebase, and use the log, as well as explore important Git commands for managing your repository.
The troubleshooting part of this Git book will include detailed instructions on how to bisect, blame, and several other problem handling techniques that will complete your newly acquired Git arsenal.
By the end of this book, you’ll be using Git with confidence. Saving, sharing, managing files as well as undoing mistakes and basically rewriting history will be a breeze.
What you will learn
- Create remote and local repositories and learn how to clone them
- Understand the difference between local and remote repositories
- Use, manage, and merge branches back into the main branch
- Utilize tools to manage merge conflicts
- Manage commits on your local machine through interactive rebasing
- Use the log to gain control over all the data in your repository
- Use bisect, blame, and other tools to undo Git mistakes
Who this book is for
If you have basic understanding of Git and want to strengthen your command over advanced techniques and navigate different functions, this book is for you. Knowing the fundamentals of Git will help you get the most out of this book, but beginners willing to invest some extra effort will be able to follow along as well.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now