Building Industrial Digital Twins
Building Industrial Digital Twins
About the Book
Build your first digital twin MVP and gain first-hand experience of using the technology, the challenges it presents, and its impact on your organization
- Create a digital twin prototype using Microsoft Azure Digital Twin
- Explore the digital twin approach to the design, operations, and maintenance of industrial assets and products
- Understand key characteristics and components of a digital twin through practical use cases and business scenarios
Digital twin technology enables organizations to create digital representations of physical entities such as assets, systems, and processes throughout their life cycle. It improves asset performance, utilization, and safe operations and reduces manufacturing, operational, and maintenance costs.
The book begins by introducing you to the concept of digital twins and sets you on a path to develop a digital twin strategy to positively influence business outcomes in your organization. You'll understand how digital twins relate to physical assets, processes, and technology and learn about the prerequisite conditions for the right platform, scale, and use case of your digital twins. You'll then get hands-on with Microsoft's Azure Digital Twins platform for your digital twin development and deployment. The book equips you with the knowledge to evaluate enterprise and specialty platforms, including the cloud and industrial IoT required to set up your digital twin prototype. Once you've built your prototype, you'll be able to test and validate it relative to the intended purpose of the twin through pilot deployment, full deployment, and value tracking techniques.
By the end of this book, you'll have developed the skills to build and deploy your digital twin prototype, or minimum viable twin, to demonstrate, assess, and monitor your asset at specific stages in the asset life cycle.
What you will learn
- Identify key criteria for the applicability of digital twins in your organization
- Explore the RACI matrix and rapid experimentation for choosing the right tech stack for your digital twin system
- Evaluate public cloud, industrial IoT, and enterprise platforms to set up your prototype
- Develop a digital twin prototype and validate it using a unit test, integration test, and functional test
- Perform an RoI analysis of your digital twin to determine its economic viability for the business
- Discover techniques to improve your digital twin for future enhancements
Who this book is for
The digital twin book is for mid-career subject experts, including engineers and operations managers, building their first prototype (MVP) using digital twin technology. The book will help professionals responsible for mechanical, process, and reliability engineering domains. You don't have to be a developer or programmer, but beginner-level programming skills will be helpful.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now