Associations and Correlations
Unearth the powerful insights buried in your data
About the Book
Discover the story of your data using the essential elements of associations and correlations
- Get a comprehensive introduction to associations and correlations
- Explore multivariate analysis, understand its limitations, and discover the assumptions on which it’s based
- Gain insights into the various ways of preparing your data for analysis and visualization
Associations and correlations are ways of describing how a pair of variables change together as a result of their connection. By knowing the various available techniques, you can easily and accurately discover and visualize the relationships in your data.
This book begins by showing you how to classify your data into the four distinct types that you are likely to have in your dataset. Then, with easy-to-understand examples, you’ll learn when to use the various univariate and multivariate statistical tests. You’ll also discover what to do when your univariate and multivariate results do not match. As the book progresses, it describes why univariate and multivariate techniques should be used as a tag team, and also introduces you to the techniques of visualizing the story of your data.
By the end of the book, you’ll know exactly how to select the most appropriate univariate and multivariate tests, and be able to use a single strategic framework to discover the true story of your data.
What you will learn
- Identify a dataset that’s fit for analysis using its basic features
- Understand the importance of associations and correlations
- Use multivariate and univariate statistical tests to confirm relationships
- Classify data as qualitative or quantitative and then into the four subtypes
- Build a visual representation of all the relationships in the dataset
- Automate associations and correlations with CorrelViz
Who this book is for
This is a book for beginners – if you’re a novice data analyst or data scientist, then this is a great place to start. Experienced data analysts might also find value in this title, as it will recap the basics and strengthen your understanding of key concepts. This book focuses on introducing the essential elements of association and correlation analysis.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now