- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Draw a labelled diagram of an electric motor. Explain its principle and working.
What is the function of a split ring in an electric motor?
According to the principle of an electric motor, when a rectangular current carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, a couple of forces act on it and try to rotate the conductor in the magnetic field.
Some devices in which electric motors are used: fans, grinders, washing machines, etc.
An electric motor works on the principle of magnetic effect of electric current. In an electric motor, a rectangular coil ABCD is placed between two magnets in poles N and S. Now, the current flows in the direction ABCD from the commutator half-ring P and brush X, and leaves via commutator half-ring Q and brush Y continuously. When current is passed into the coil, it produces a magnetic field around it. The two magnetic fields interact and cause the coil to rotate anticlockwise and clockwise alternatively. When the coil rotates, the shaft (or, axle) attached to it also rotates. In this way, electrical energy supplied to the motor is converted into mechanical energy.
The role of the split ring (or, commutator) in an electric motor is to reverse the direction of current in the coil of the motor.
- Electric Traction Motor: AC Series Motor
- Electric Traction Motor: Linear Induction Motor
- Electric Generator: Construction and Working Principle
- How to Determine the Electric Motor Load?
- Repulsion Motor – Working Principle and Characteristics
- What is an Individual Electric Drive? (Types of Electric Drive)
- Electric Traction: Suitability of DC Series Motor in Traction
- What is an Electric Drive? – Block Diagram, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Electric Arc Welding: Working Principle, Types, and Applications
- Electric Arc Furnace: Working Principle & Types
- Three Phase Induction Motor – Working Principle
- What is a Group Electric Drive? (Types of Electric Drive)
- What is a Multimotor Electric Drive? (Types of Electric Drive)
- Three-Phase Synchronous Motor – Construction and Working Principle
- Construction of Circle Diagram of Induction Motor
- Power Flow Diagram and Losses of Induction Motor