- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Does pure water conduct electricity? If not, what can we do to make it conducting?
We have to answer whether pure water conducts electricity. If not, then we have to explain what we can do to make it conduct electricity.
Let us discuss whether electricity is conducted in pure water or not:
Conduction of electricity in pure water:
Pure water (distilled water) is a bad or poor conductor of electricity. When free wires are immersed in pure water then electric current does not pass through the circuit.
Making pure water conductive for electricity:
By mixing impurities such as common salt, pure water can be made conductive for electricity. When impurities $(like\ salts)$ are dissolved in water, they form ions and these ions make it possible for an electric current to pass through the solution. This solution is known as an electrolyte that contains chlorine and sodium ions that conducts electric current.
- Related Articles
- Do water conduct electricity?
- Why does distilled water not conduct electricity, whereas rainwater does?
- (a) Why do acids not show acidic behaviour in the absence of water?(b) Why does an aqueous solution of an acid conduct electricity?(c) Why does distilled water not conduct electricity whereas rain water does?
- How does water make electricity?
- Silver is the best conductor of electricity, however, it is not used to make conducting wires. Explain
- (a) Explain why, ionic compounds conduct electricity in solution whereas covalent compounds do not conduct electricity.(b) Which of the following will conduct electricity and which not?MgCl2, CCl4, NaCl, CS2, Na2S
- What are ionic compounds? Why do ionic compounds not conduct electricity in the solid-state?
- The atoms of copper contain electrons and the atoms of rubber also contain electrons. Then why does copper conduct electricity but rubber does not conduct electricity?
- Describe an activity to show that solution of salt in water can conduct electricity.
- Why does an aqueous solution of acid conduct electricity?
- Will the solution of sugar in distilled water conduct electricity?
- Why does an aqueous solution of an acid conduct electricity?
- Why we do not drink sea water?
- What to do if your neighbors make fish daily and being a pure vegetarian you can't even bear its smell?
- Explain why, a solution of cane sugar does not conduct electricity but a solution of common salt is a good conductor of electricity.