Conversation on Cryptography: w/ Mike Meyers
Diving into cryptography with The Alpha Geek and Total Seminars team. Learn cyber security and ethical hacking.
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
Hey there! Mike Meyers, your favorite nerd, here to present a fun, casual, and informative conversation on cryptography. I partnered with my good friend, Bill Saichek, to talk about one of my very favorite topics: cryptography. I've loved the idea of cryptic codes, secret agents, and deciphering hidden text since I was a kid. And because I've had so many questions on this topic, I decided to try a different kind of course to help my students understand the more complex concepts in cryptography.
This Conversation on Cryptography course was designed with YOU in mind, whether you're just curious about cryptography (like me), or you took my CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501): The Total Course (or any other cyber security course) and would like a better understanding of this intriguing subject. Here's a rundown of what Bill and I talk about:
Caesar and Vigenere ciphers - These fascinating ciphers form part of the basic foundation of cryptography, back before the digital age when militaries, powerful leaders, and spies had to pass messages that couldn't be deciphered if they fell into enemy hands.
Binary - In order for ciphers to be useful today, cryptographers had to figure out how to translate them into the language of computers (1s and 0s).
Hashing - If all our digital data are just strings of 1s and 0s, how can we make sure we have the real deal? Learn about authentication in this episode.
Asymmetric cryptography - We discuss how generating a key pair offers more security, though at the price of taking more time.
Symmetric cryptography - This quick and dirty cryptosystem uses a single key to both encrypt and decrypt.
Asymmetric methods - Dig into how these methods actually work, and how prime numbers are keeping your data safe. Did we mention we play with paint in this episode?
Certificates - The Web is full of hackers who want to take advantage of your personal and private information. So, who do we trust? That's where certificates come in.
Public key infrastructure - How do we pass out those certificates? And assure the authenticity of them? PKI to the rescue!
Living with certificates - We get our hands on some of those certificates and teach you how to troubleshoot them when something goes wrong.
So sit down, grab a cup of coffee, and join Bill & I for a conversation on cryptography.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner-level Cyber or IT Security Technicians who want to better understand how crucial cryptography is to their job.
- Students of any network security course (including my CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501): The Total Course) who would like to get a better grasp on how cryptography is used throughout the Internet.
- PC and Network technicians looking to expand their understanding of cryptography in IT security.
- Anyone curious about cryptography in technology, and how we keep our data safe from hackers as it travels across networks.
What will you learn in this course:
- Define cryptography and the key role it plays in protecting our digital data.
- Learn how hashing helps us to be certain the data we receive or download is legitimate.
- Find out how Web sites use certificates to make sure our usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal data stay secure.
- Prepare for the CompTIA Security+ exam by better understanding cryptography and PKI, one of the six exam domains.
- Understand ciphers, binary, hashing, symmetric and asymmetric cryptosystems, digital signatures and certificates, and public key infrastructure.
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Basic familiarity with PCs and networks.
- A curiosity about cryptography, the science of encryption and decryption, and how it keeps our data safe across networks.
- There are no specific prerequisites, since the course covers the topic in detail.
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Why Cryptography? 05:26 05:26
- Caesar Cipher 05:48 05:48
- Vigenere Cipher 11:12 11:12
- Moving to Binary 29:34 29:34
- Hashing 20:17 20:17
- Asymmetric Cryptography 11:33 11:33
- Asymmetric Methods 11:16 11:16
- Certificates 10:45 10:45
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) 14:56 14:56
- Living with Certificates 22:01 22:01
Total Seminars provides certification training services and training materials to thousands of schools, corporations, and government agencies including the United Nations, the FBI and all branches of the Department of Defense.
Total Seminars produces the #1 selling CompTIA A+ and Network+ Certification books with over 1 million books in print.
Total Seminars has created a number of “Best-Selling” video courses by Mike Meyers and the Total Seminars team of Instructors. They also develop supplemental materials such as the TotalTester certification practice tests and TotalSims lab simulations to support your certification preparation. These are available on the Total Seminars web site, www.totalsem.com.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now