- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Can being a woman becomes a ground for lesser punishment?
NO!! According to the Supreme Court of India, being a woman cannot be a ground for a lesser punishment.
Recently in a historical judgment, the Supreme Court has set aside a lower court's order for sparing a woman from Jail term who was convicted of attempted murder.
The Himachal Pradesh high court had sentenced a woman to two years jail term and a fine of Rs 2,000. When the woman pleaded that she was a woman with three minor children to look after, the court has spared her from sending to the Jail.
When the case is appealed to the Supreme Court of India, the bench of Justice AK Sikri and Justice RK Agarwal gave the historical judgment.
“Women are competing (, with) men in the criminal world; they are emulating them in all the crimes, and even surpassing men at times. Therefore, the concept of criminal justice is not necessarily synonymous with social justice,”
“There was no reason to show any further mercy," said the bench.
The bench opined that previously even Supreme Court was taking gender into account while fixing the severity and quantum of sentence. But in the present world of gender equality, where a woman wants to be treated at par with men in every field, they should be punished equally for equal offenses committed by them.
- What are the diet restrictions for a woman with gestational diabetes?
- Reinforcement and Punishment: B.F. Skinner
- Some Lesser-Known CSS Properties for Form Input Fields
- Explain why it is possible for a small animal to fall from a considerable height without any injury being caused when it reaches the ground.
- When does a man stop thinking that woman is vulnerable and can be exploited?
- How can a woman use public transport even at late night and stay safe?
- Is human being power of eye becomes loose after a few years? If yes then from how many years?
- How can I prevent a window from being resized with Tkinter?
- What are the reproductive parts of a woman?
- France Becomes a Republic
- Can the egg cell of a human being be seen with naked eyes?
- A woman uses a device X made of a common metal for preventing pregnancy. This device works by preventing the implantation of fertilised egg cell (or embryo) in the female organ Y.(a) What are the two names of device X? (b) Name the organ Y. (c) Can this method of contraception protect a woman from acquiring a STD?
- Why a human being needs oxygen?
- How is the life of a middle-aged woman without marriage?
- A football match is being played at night in a stadium with flood lights ON. You can see the shadow of a football kept at the ground but cannot see its shadow when it is kicked high in the air. Explain.