Automating Financial Reporting In Excel (Part I)
This course expands on building automated AND interactive financial reports for report users.
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
In this course we will explore ways of automating monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial reporting processes to achieve the ultimate goal of “one-click reporting”. We will start with a brief overview of the dilemmas facing accountants and analysts. From this we will discuss how we can set up financial reports in Excel based on accounting system export (direct report or financial data). This leads to an introduction of EXCEL formulas, Pivot Table, and simple VBA macro. Then we will work with each formula to transcribe system-generated report or data into standard financial reports. This course will serve as review for accounting and finance professionals who need to sharpen their EXCEL skills in automating monthly/quarterly/yearly financial reporting.
What will you learn in this course:
- Define best practice in linking a financial statement to a system-generated report
- Distinguish between exact match and approximate match in lookup formulas
- Identify the best practice in building a Pivot Table
- Name a dynamic formula used in referencing cell values in a Pivot Table
- Distinguish between 3 ways of assigning a macro – to a button, to a worksheet, or to a workbook
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- No Advanced Preparation or Prerequisites are needed for this course
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction to Automating Financial Reporting Part 1 01:14 01:14
- Excel Features 03:41 03:41
- Excel in Financial Reporting 00:53 00:53
- Reporting Dilemmas: Generate report from accounting system 00:58 00:58
- Reporting Dilemmas: Generate report in Excel 01:20 01:20
Road to "One-Click Reporting"
Advanced Level (Continued)
Lenny Wu was a Lecturer at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. He also sat as an Examiner for the International English Language Testing System (or IELTS) in the 1990s. On top of these, he is an exam trainer for various high profile exams, such as GRE (or Graduate Record Examination), GMAT (or Graduate Management Admission Test), TOEFL (or Test of English as a Foreign Language), and math contests such as Euler, Gauss and Pascal. He has published books on test taking strategies.
Lenny received his MBA, Finance from The George Washington University in Washington, DC, USA, and currently is a Senior Financial Analyst with an international engineering company in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Lenny's motto at work is "Don’t work hard, work smart". Lenny has passion in teaching how to build your own "robot" into everyday office work. He has over over 22 years working with Microsoft Excel, and he is a modeling expert in Power Query, Power Pivot, and Power BI.
Lenny is a big proponent of OCR (One-click Reporting), and SSR (Self-service Reporting).
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now