- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
An iron nail is kept in each of the following liquids. In which case would it lose its shine and appear dull?
- Mustard oil
- Soft drink
- Coconut oil
Correct answer: (b) Soft drink
Explanation: Soft drinks contain water, carbon dioxide and acid due to which iron nail is corroded and appears dull as rusting of iron nail occurs when the iron is exposed to air and moisture.
In order to prevent rusting of Iron, it is covered in grease or oil. The oil forms a protective layer and does not allow the iron to come in direct contact with air or moisture. Hence, the iron nail does not lose its shine when kept in mustard oil, coconut oil and kerosene.
[Extra information: Rust is an iron oxide, a usually reddish-brown oxide formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen. The terms "rust" and "rusting" only mean oxidation of iron and its resulting products. (so a new substance is formed as iron changes to iron ore.)
The nature of rust changes with time, reflecting the slow rates of the reactions of solids. (so the change is irreversible)
Rusting is an oxidation reaction. The iron reacts with water and oxygen to form hydrated iron(III) oxide, which we see as rust. On reversing the reaction, we don't get back the original substance. It is a permanent change.]
- Which oil is better for cooking, mustard oil or coconut oil?
- Why the sound in cinema halls is kept so high? Can it be dangerous for many individuals?
- Which of the following areas data mining technology can be applied?
- Types of Losses in a Transformer – Iron and Copper Losses
- What is a switch case statement in Java and how to use it?
- What is Accountability and what is its importance in an organization?
- What is the purpose of using MySQL CHAR_LENGTH() function? Which function is the synonym of it?
- What is an identifier and its rules in C language?
- Of the following three phenomena, which one best describes "Paradigm Shift"?
- MySQL query to get the count of rows in which two or more specified values appear?
- What is the best exercise to lose your belly?
- What is an Acceleration Clause and what is its significance?
- Is grey really a dull colour that makes us sad?
- What would be the effect on the output of MySQL LAST_INSERT_ID() function in the case on multiple-row insert?
- Is it possible to make a case-insensitive query in MongoDB?