- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
A cell will swell up if
(a) the concentration of water molecules in the cell is higher than the concentration of water molecules in surrounding medium
(b) the concentration of water molecules in surrounding medium is higher than water molecules concentration in the cell
(c) the concentration of water molecules is same in the cell and in the surrounding medium
(d) concentration of water molecules does not matter.
Correct Answer: (b) the concentration of water molecules in the surrounding medium is higher than water molecules concentration in the cell
Concentration gradient is the unequal distribution of solutes in a solution when they diffuse from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration in passive transport.
Plasmolysis is the process that takes place when the plant cell losses cytoplasmic water due to osmosis and shrinks in size.
It occurs when the plant\'s cell is placed in a hypertonic solution or solution having a higher concentration of salts. Cytoplasm loses its water to the hypertonic solution to achieve equilibrium and shrinks.
When a plasmolyzed cell (or the cells whose cytoplasm got shrunk) is placed in water, the cell absorbs water from the surroundings due to varied concentration gradients and tries to regain its original size and shape. Thus, the plant cell becomes turgid.
Osmosis is the process of movement of water from a region of higher water concentration to a region of lower water concentration. Osmosis involves the movement of water molecules, while diffusion involves the movement of solute particles across a concentration gradient.
Also, osmosis involves the presence of a semi-permeable membrane to allow the selective movement of only water molecules and not solute particles.
- Program to find largest island after changing one water cell to land cell in Python
- Update the content of a specific cell in MySQL
- Are there any other ways I can improve my concentration other than the Rubic Cube?
- Working Principle of Voltaic Cell (Galvanic Cell)
- Program to check if water tank overflows when n solid balls are dipped in the water tank in C++
- Types of Electric Water Heater (Plate Heater, Immersion Water Heater, Geyser)
- Check if a cell can be visited more than once in a String in C++
- The CELL ATLAS: What are we made of?
- How to get a value from the cell of a Pandas DataFrame?
- How to purify water at home without a water purifying machine?
- In what ways hot water is better over cold water to drink?
- C++ Program to find out the maximum number of moves to reach a unblocked cell to another unblocked cell in a grid
- Find amount of water wasted after filling the tank in C++
- What are the health benefits of drinking jeera water daily?
- What are the health benefits of rice water for babies?