- Tourism Management Tutorial
- Tourism Management - Home
- Tourism Basics
- Tourism Management - Introduction
- Tourism Management - Types
- Tourism Management - Terminology
- Tourism Management - Factors
- Tourism Management - Demand
- Tourism Mngmt - Motivation Factors
- Maslow's Pyramid of Motivation
- Consumer Behavior in Tourism
- Tourism Management - Plog's Model
- About Tourism Destinations
- Destination Awareness
- Tourism Management - Milieus
- Tourism Management Destination
- Tools for Destination Management
- Managing Tourism
- Tourism Management - Supply
- Tourism Functional Management
- Business Departments
- Market Segmentation
- Tourism Mngmt - Marketing Mix
- Tourism Mngmt - Products & Services
- Developing Product
- Product Development Phases
- Tourism Impacts, Trends, & Future
- Tourism Management - Impacts
- Tourism Mngmt - Trends & Future
- Tourism Management Resources
- Tourism Management - Quick Guide
- Tourism Management - Resources
- Tourism Management - Discussion
Tourism Management - Types
In this chapter, we will be discussing the various types of tourism and their characteristics.
It involves tourism of organized large groups of people to special tourist locations. It is a traditional way where the daily program is fixed by the tour organizer. It is a social activity. The tourists generally desire for souvenirs and site-seeing.
For example, religious places, theme parks, boat cruises, resort towns.
It includes individually organized tours to find first-hand information about a place, local culture, and environment.
For example, biking tour planned by an individual while accommodation is catered for on the go.
It is touring for conducting business transactions, attending business meetings, workshops, or conferences. The objective of business tourism is mainly professional.
It includes tourism for improving one’s physical or spiritual well-being. For example, vacation at a Yoga or rehabilitation center.
It is tourism at places famous for pristine nature and serene beauty. The main objective is to experience and enjoy nature such as farms and wildlife. Ecotourism is a part of nature tourism.
This type of tourism has an objective of understanding the local history of the place, foods, local productions, and local culture.
It includes tours conducted among relatives, friends, and others.
It includes travelling to escape from routine life. This is often done for enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure. For example, Camping or beach visit.
It is conducted with a clear objective such as climbing a mountain, touring around the world, or learning local culinary arts or languages.
It is tourism for attending some sports event such as World Cup Cricket Match, FIFA, or Olympics.
It involves travelling to places of religious significance such as Vaishno Devi in Jammu-Kashmir and Golden Temple at Amritsar (India), Mecca in Saudi Arabia, Bethlehem, and other such places.
Health or Medical Tourism
It involves travelling to improve one’s health. It is with the objective of visiting weight-loss camps, naturopathy centers, and health resorts.
It involves tourism for adventurous activities such as rock climbing, bungee jumping, sky-diving, hiking, horse-riding, surfing, rafting, or skiing.
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started