Android is Google’s free operating system which now has millions of users across the globe. The mobile OS comes in tablets and smartphones. Android offers over 200,000 applications for users, of which many are free. When high end android smartphones and tablets started appearing, android users realized the potential for gaming in Android. Google Play Store already offers a lot of android games. But it is now possible to play other games in android with appropriate emulators.
Years ago, Super Nintendo home gaming consoles used to be a common household item in many countries. You might have heard of SNES games and how they made gaming fun in those times. Now the console is an antique, however the games are still admired. There are now android SNES emulators available which you can use to play SNES games on android devices.
Follow the steps in the tutorial to play SNES games in your android device.
Installing the emulator
Although there are many emulators, SNesoid is more useful. However, make sure that your android device has the technical specifications to support the app.
- Step 1: Access your android phone’s Settings menu and tap Applications
- Step 2: Now tap ‘Unknown sources’. This will allow you to install applications that are not available in Play Store. SNesoid is a free application, but is not available in the Play Store.
- Step 3: Now launch the web browser in your phone and go to www.slideme.org
- Step 4: Browse the website and download SNesoid android application
- Step 5: Now drag down the notification bar and tap the ‘Download Complete’ notification to install the app in your phone
- Step 6: Now tap the emulator to launch it to check if it is working
Now that you have installed SNesoid, you need to download SNES games so that you can emulate them with the app. You can download these games for free. They are referred to as SNES ROMs and come with .SMC file extension.
- Step 1: Go to Google in your web browser
- Step 2: Search for SNES ROMs of .smc file extensions
- Step 3: Once you’ve found a safe site to download the roms, start downloading any number of games you like
- Step 4: if you are downloading the ROMs in your PC, connect your phone to the PC via USB
- Step 5: Now find the ROMs and copy them in a folder in your SD Card. If you have downloaded the ROMs in your phone,
- Step 6: Tap on a downloaded ROM from the notification bar
- Step 7: When prompted to choose an app to open the file, select SNesoid. After copying the ROMs in your SD card from your PC, disconnect the handset.
- Step 8: Now launch SNesoid
- Step 9: Navigate to the folder in SD card, where you stored the game
- Step 10: Click on any ROM to launch it in the app. The app shows virtual buttons in the screen itself that responds to touch.
SNesoid also supports physical controllers. If you want to use a Physical controller to play the games,
- Step 1: Connect the physical controller to the phone
- Step 2: Go to the Settings menu in the app
- Step 3: Choose Input settings
- Step 4: Now uncheck the checkbox for Virtual keypad settings
- Step 5: Go to Key mappings
- Step 6: Now tap on each button and assign physical buttons using the controller
The free SNesoid emulator allows users to map their own controls and also includes Xperia Play support. Users will be able save states and play multiplayer over Bluetooth or WiFi networks. It’s almost compatible with every .smc SNES ROM in the internet and offers good performance without lags.