Myspace is a popular social-music networking website launched in August 2003. The site offered a unique feature of allowing artists to host their music tracks via a customized music player. Myspace users can add these tracks to personal lists in their profiles. The public Myspace profiles of users allow them to send short messages, emails, post photos and listen to hosted music tracks of upcoming and popular artistes.
With the launch of Facebook, several users shifted from Myspace to join Facebook. However Myspace still has a lot of active users. Presently, Myspace is under a new ownership, with the owners determined to revamp the site and make it mobile/tablet friendly, adding all new features. Users are able to stream complete albums from several artists, and replay the tracks any number of times whenever they want, for free.
This tutorial is a guideline to those who users who would like to join the new Myspace and make the most of it.
Creating a Myspace profile
- Step 1: Launch your web browser
- Step 2: Go to https://new.myspace.com/signup
In this page, you can either register for a new account or use your old Myspace account and update it. You may also use your Facebook or Twitter account to join the new Myspace by syncing those accounts with Myspace.
- Step 3: Provide your details and check the checkbox at the bottom of the page
- Step 4: Click Join
You are now a member of the new Myspace. The website will prompt you to associate with items such as ‘Musician’, ‘Fan’, ‘Comedian’ etc.
- Step 5: Choose the options you like or skip this step
- Step 6: Choose whether to connect through Facebook. If you choose this, it will automatically add all the artists, whose page you liked on Facebook to your Myspace account.
- Step 7: Create and personalize your profile
- Step 8: Choose whether you want the profile to be Public or Restricted
- Step 9: Click Take me to Myspace when you are done
Using the new Myspace
You will now be taken to the profile home screen.
- Step 1: Click on the speech bubble to post a status update, just like in Facebook
- Step 2: Search for friends in other social networks like Facebook and Twitter using the Search bar
- Step 3: Search for a track
- Step 4: Click on a track in search results to play it in the Myspace music player. You can also see fans and followers of the band you have searched, if you scroll to the right. In order to ‘like’ a song as in Facebook, you can choose the similar ‘Connect’ option in new Myspace. For that,
- Step 5: Click on the linked circles symbol beside the name of the track you played. A menu will now appear.
- Step 6: Click Connect
- Step 7: Click Queue to list the track in the current list you are listening to
- Step 8: Click Share to share the track with your friends
- Step 9: Click Add to Mix to add the track to the new playlist. Add to Mix option also allows you to create a new playlist, where the track can be added. To know the latest news in the world of music,
- Step 10: Click Discover on the toolbar next to the Music player
In the new Myspace, you will also be able to view the pages of the bands. These pages will have descriptions of the band, their photos, events and their new updates. You will also be able to play the musical videos of the band. The new Myspace is designed for music lovers, who can also have a good time discussing music related stuff and sharing music with their friends in other networks.