About Microsoft Account
Microsoft account is a user ID created on either Hotmail.com or live.com. As soon as a user account is created on any of these websites, the credentials can be used on any Microsoft website such as TechNet.com, etc. Apart from creating a Microsoft account on Hotmail.com or live.com websites, Windows 8 also allows users to create Microsoft account from right within its interface.
Since the user accounts created on these sites are globally valid on all Microsoft servers, the same credentials can also be used to log on to any Windows 8 computer that is connected to the Internet.
Benefits of Using Microsoft Account
Since Microsoft account credentials can be used to log on to any Windows 8 computer worldwide, the operating system offers some benefits that Microsoft account holders get. Some of the major benefits are:
- Worldwide Data Availability – When a Microsoft account is created, each account gets up to 7 GB of the online storage free of cost. Users can use the available storage using SkyDrive to upload or download files. SkyDrive is a built-in app in Windows 8
- App Availability – Apps are only available to the Windows 8 users if they log on to the computer using Microsoft account.
- Email Facilities – Since Microsoft account is actually created on either Hotmail.com or live.com even if it is created from Windows 8 operating system, users can use the account and initiate the built-in Mail app to gain access to their personal mails.
Creating a Microsoft account from Windows 8 requires that the computer must be connected to the Internet, and a local user account must be created which will be used to gain access to the computer locally to initiate the Microsoft account creation process.
Creating a Microsoft Account
To create a Microsoft account from a Windows 8 computer, users/administrators must follow the steps below:
- Make sure that the Windows 8 computer is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Use any local user account credentials to log on to Windows 8 computer where Microsoft account is to be created.
- From the Start screen, click Desktop tile to view the desktop.
- From the desktop screen, hover mouse to the bottom right corner of the window.
- From the displayed options in the right, click Settings.
- From the bottom of Settings pane, click Change PC settings.
- On PC settings window, click to select Users from the left pane.
- On the right pane, click Switch to a Microsoft account under Your account section.
- On Sign in with a Microsoft account window, specify the password for the currently logged on user account.
- Click Next to continue.
- From the bottom of the next window, click Sign up for a new email address.
- On Sign up for a new email address window, populate the available fields with the appropriate values and click Next.
- On Add security info window, provide the required information in the available fields and click Next.
- On Finish up window, type the displayed characters in the available field and click Next.
- On next window, click Finish to automatically log on to the computer using newly created Microsoft account.