PMP Mock Exams
Based on PMBOK 5th Edition
Here are 200 objective type sample questions and their answers are given just below to them. This exam is just to give you an idea of type of questions which may be asked in PMP Certification Exams. Even we have taken full care to give correct answers for all the questions but it is recommended to verify these answers.
In examination you will get each question one by one on computer screen
(101) A project manager has increased project costs by US $75,000, but completed the project six weeks earlier than planned. What tool is best described here?
Hint: Crashing is a schedule compression technique that employs more resources to finish sooner
(102) Which of the following is most true?
Hint: Lag is time duration by which an activity is delayed because of predecessor activity. See PMBOK Glossary definition.
(103) As project manager you should dedicate a primary focus to:
Hint: It is important to ensure that only necessary changes are made to the baselines.
(104) The behavioral responsibilities of a project manager may also include dealing with:
Hint: A project manager must address all the factors that are likely to influence the project.
(105) The major purpose of project status reports is to:
Hint: Status reports are meant to give a periodic summary of project progress
(106) Most project management leadership theories focus on all of the following except :
Hint: Personality types of team members are covered in human resource management
(107) Summary budget is arrived at during the______ phase of the project:
Hint: Mentioned in the Project Charter
(108) Historical records during closing are useful to __________ and ____________ for future projects:
Hint: Historical information aids in expert judgment
(109) Your client informs that his company has a problem with the current design specs of your product and how it will interface with the existing systems. If this occurs, it could be a major problem for your project. The client is coming to your office in a week to discuss the problem and to see what your team can do to overcome this setback. All previous meetings were informal with this client, but now he wants a formal meeting. What should you do to prepare for this meeting:
Hint: It is time for brainstorming to gather ideas, hypotheses, and possible solutions.
(110) The definitive terms of a contract are written during which of the following contract phases?
Hint: Conduct Procurement process aims at finalizing the Agreements that constitute the contract.
(111) A document that formally recognizes the existence of a project is a :
Hint: PMBOK 5, Page 71-72, Project Charter authorizes a project
(112) Some organizations are now using 6 Sigma for quality control compared to the usual:
Hint: 3-sigma is less rigorous and precedes 6-sigma which is highest.
(113) Reducing the impact of a risk event by reducing the possibility of its occurrence is:
Hint: PMBOK 5, Page 559, See PMBOK Glossary definition of Risk Avoidance.
(114) In which of the following project management process groups are the most time and money typically spent?
Hint: A large portion of project budget and duration is used in Executing Process group. Page 56, Sec 3.5 Executing Process group, PMBOK 5
(115) ______ recognizes that a project or phase should begin and commits the organization to do so:
Hint: Creation of project charter is the specific activity that does it in Initiating Process.
(116) A supplier has withdrawn from your project. A new supplier has been added. His labor forces are due to arrive at the job site tomorrow. You should:
Hint: Ground rules have to be set as the first thing.
(117) A new project manager is about to begin creating the project's scope of work. One stakeholder wants to add many items to the scope of work. Another stakeholder only wants to describe the functional requirements. The project is important for the project manager's company but a seller will do the work. Which of the following would you advise the project manager to do?
Hint: Detailed requirements will give clarity, elaborate stakeholders requirements and expectations.
(118) After the kickoff meeting, two team members engage in a casual conversation about the project objectives and deliverables. It is clear they heard different messages during the meeting. One member is so adamant that the other member gives up arguing the point. After talking to the project manager, the second member confirms that the first member is mistaken. At this point, what is the BEST course of action?
Hint: Addressing the issue in the meeting and finding out all anomalies is needed.
(119) During project execution, a project team delivers a project deliverable to the customer. However, the customer neither acknowledges the deliverable nor says if it is acceptable, although an approval is required. What is the BEST thing to do?
Hint: The issue needs to be escalated to the upper management
(120) You are managing a six-month project and have held bi-weekly meetings with your project sponsors. After five-and-a-half months of work, the project is on schedule and budget, but the sponsors are not satisfied with the deliverables. This situation will delay the project completion by one month. The MOST important process that could have prevented this situation is:
Hint: Periodic walkthroughs, reviews, and audits help in gauging stakeholder satisfaction early and planning for changes. Sign-offs avoid leaving room for futuredisputes.
(121) When you are closing out a project, what must you do?
Hint: Customer's acceptance is the primary necessity
(122) Financial controls that need to be considered for project plan development do not include:
Hint: Process Audits aren't required for Finance and Accounting
(123) A project manager has been working on a project for six months with the same team yet the team still shows a lack of support for the project. The best thing for the project manager to do would be to?
Hint: The project manager must find out the causes of lack of motivation
(124) A project has several teams. Team C has repeatedly missed several deadlines in the past causing Team D to have to crash the critical path several times. As the project leader for Team D, what should you do?
Hint: The issue must be resolved between the team leads in the presence of project manager
(125) The current update to the schedule performance report shows no schedule variance. Based upon the reporting, you have told the client that the project is on time. However, your team members know that a major milestone has just been missed and that the project will not meet its startup date. This is an indication of poor?
Hint: There is a communication gap within the team
(126) A project manager is assigned a project with a team that has already been selected. The first thing the project manager should find out about the team is?
Hint: It is important for the PM to know each member's role and responsibility
(127) An advisor to a new project manager tells the project manager to create lessons learned document at the end of a project. A lessons learned document includes?
Hint: Lessons are learned from the mistakes and how they were caused to be able to avoid them in future.
(128) Abdullah, a project manager in XYZ Company is managing a project on IT and is looking for historical data on the usage of the previous software and applications in the company; he will get it in.
Hint: Historical information is available in OPA
(129) The project is completed and the final deliverable given to the customer but the customer refuses to take any action to give final acceptance on the project. The project manager should?
Hint: Documentation of new scenarios may help develop a plan for a similar situation in future.
(130) What do knowledge, skills, tools and techniques stand for when applied to the activities of a project, if it also entails effective management of a process.
Hint: Together it is called Project Management
(131) The Precedence Diagramming Method :
Hint: PMBOK 5, Page 156 Precedence Diagramming Method
(132) Gantt charts are great for:
Hint: A Gantt Chart gives quick insights into task schedules and resource utilizations
(133) Ultimate responsibility for quality management in the project rests with the?
Hint: All team members are responsible for quality
(134) Design of experiments?
Hint: PMBOK 5, Page 239-40 Design of experiments
(135) You are a project manager for a major information systems project. Someone from the quality department comes to see you about beginning a quality audit of your project. The team, already under pressure to complete the project as soon as possible, takes objection to the audit. You should explain to the team that the purpose of a quality audit is?
Hint: A quality audit helps to determine if the project activities comply with org processes.
(136) You manage a project whose team members have diverse skills and expertise. You want to encourage your staff to pool its knowledge on project issues to make the best decisions possible. The most appropriate management style to use is:
Hint: Laissez-faire style depends on trust and giving freedom to make decisions
(137) The types of power that have substantial influence on both subordinates and upper management are:
Hint: Expertise (Expert) and Charisma (Referent) together make the best combination
(138) Your preferred resource is not available at the time needed. What is the best thing to do?
Hint: A review of available options helps make better stock of the current situation
(139) An important piece of hardware will be late. What is the first thing to do?
Hint: To evaluate the impact and available options, discuss with team
(140) A project has experienced significant delays due to equipment problems, staff attrition, and slow client reviews. The project is 40% complete and has used 60% of the available calendar time. What is the FIRST thing you should do?
Hint: It is time to conduct a root-cause analysis
(141) A functional manager wants to make a change to the time associated with a task, but there is not enough reserve to accommodate the change. Who should authorize the change?
Hint: Project Manager has the required authority among those listed
(142) During the course of a project you have motivated team members, managed conflict, performed personnel administrative functions and negotiated for more resources. These are examples of:
Hint: Performing diverse functions in an attribute of General Management
(143) You have been promoted to Manager, Continuous Process Improvement. Your new position:
Hint: It is a position that will aid process improvement across org processes
(144) Which of the following is not a Project Management knowledge area?
Hint: Configuration Management is not a knowledge area.
(145) The state of being totally answerable for the satisfactory completion of a specific assignment is called:
Hint: Accountability means to be answerable, responsible and accountable for project success or failure
(146) You are responsible for the communication controls for the Genesis series of satellites. Your current assignment is:
Hint: It is collection of projects for each satellite in the series
(147) Work packages are used to :
Hint: PMBOK 5, Page 126, 128, 150
(148) Network planning methods(PERT/CPM/PDM):
Hint: They are all related to project schedule
(149) Earned value can be described as:
Hint: PMBOK 5, Page 538, Glossary definition of Earned Value
(150) A role of the change control board (CCB) is to:
Hint: CCB reviews the changes to assess the impact