- Magento Basics Tutorial
- Magento - Home
- Magento - Overview
- Magento - Installation
- Magento - Architecture
- Magento Store Setup
- Magento - Product Overview
- Magento - Setup Languages
- Magento - Setup Contact
- Magento - Setup Categories
- Magento - Setup Products
- Magento - Setup Inventory
- Magento - Setup Taxes
- Magento - Setup Shipping Rates
- Magento - Setup Payment Plans
- Magento - Setup Payment Gateway
- Magento - Setup Payment Methods
- Magento - Setup Currencies
- Magento - Setup Check Out Options
- Magento - Setup Paypal Payment
- Magento - Setup Google Checkout
- Magento - Setup Store Live
- Magento Order Processing
- Magento - Orders Life Cycle
- Magento - Setup Order Options
- Magento - Setup Order Emails
- Magento - Create Orders
- Magento - Manage Orders
- Magento System Setup
- Magento - Setup Customers
- Magento - Setup Google Analytics
- Magento - Setup Pretty URLs
- Magento - Setup Youtube Video
- Magento - Setup Facebook Likes
- Magento - Setup Translation
- Magento - Setup System Theme
- Magento - Setup Page Title
- Magento - Setup Page Layout
- Magento - Setup New Pages
- Magento - Setup CMS
- Magento - Setup Newsletter
- Magento Optimization
- Magento - Site Optimization
- Magento - Profiling
- Magento - Database Performance
- Search Engine Optimization
- Magento Useful Resources
- Magento - Questions and Answers
- Magento - Quick Guide
- Magento - Useful Resources
- Magento - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Magento - Product Overview
Products are the items or things that are sold in Magento. Product can be anything that is capable of satisfying the customer’s needs. This includes both physical products and services.
Magento provides 6 different types of products. Appropriate selection of product type is essential for accessing the appropriate set of features required to sell the product. Following are the product types available in Magento.
These are general product type, which are the most used products. In this section, there are no options for selecting size or color of the product.
Example − Coffee cup, DVD's, Camera lens, etc.
This is a group of simple products. In this type, you cannot specify a specific price for a product; you can just specify the discount.
Example − Cell phone + Memory card + Ear phone
In this type, customer can select products according to their color and size before purchasing.
Example − Cell phones obtained in different colors and sizes.
Virtual products are those which do not have physical counterpart, i.e. these are used for virtual items. These products cannot be shipped or stocked.
Example − Online training course
Bundled products are those products which cannot be sold separately and doesn't give any choice to the end user.
Example − Consider you want to buy a cell phone which includes earphone, memory card, battery, charging cable, etc. These are together called bundled products. These products cannot be sold individually but can be sold within the bundle product.
Products which are available for download are known as downloadable products.
Example − MP3 file, ebook, documents, etc.
Attribute describes the property of the product. Product attributes helps to set product properties such as color, size width, height, etc. and makes the product unique. You can add as many attributes to your product as required.
The following steps describe, how to set up the attributes for products in Magento −
Step 1 − Login to your Magento Admin Panel.
Step 2 − Go to Catalog and select Attributes from the dropdown menu and click on the Manage Attributes option.
Step 3 − Under Manage Attributes section, you will find different attributes used in the system. For adding new attribute, click on Add New Attribute seen on the top right corner of the screen.
Step 4 − Now you need to set the attribute properties for your product. After setting up all the required attribute properties, click on Save Attribute button to store the product information.