PMP Mock Exams
Based on PMBOK 4th Edition
Here are 200 objective type sample questions and their answers are given just below to them. This exam is just to give you an idea of type of questions which may be asked in PMP Certification Exams. Even we have taken full care to give correct answers for all the questions but it is recommended to verify these answers.
In examination you will get each question one by one on computer screen
(101) A project manager has increased project costs by US $75,000, but completed the project six weeks earlier than planned. What tool is best described here?
(102) Which of the following is most true?
Lag is the maximum amount of time a task can be delayed without delaying the early start of its successor.
Lag may be determined by making a forward pass.
Lag is waiting time.
Lag is the maximum amount of time a task can be delayed without delaying the project.
(103) As project manager you should dedicate a primary focus to:
Managing changes immediately as they surface.
Formally documenting all changes.
Communicating authorized changes to senior management and key stakeholders.
Preventing unnecessary changes.
(104) The behavioral responsibilities of a project manager may also include dealing with:
The legal environment
All of the above
(105) The major purpose of project status reports is to:
Organize and summarize the information so that all stakeholders were informed
Inform upper management of the project problems
Inform the client about the changes that have completed
Provide information to management and client
(106) Most project management leadership theories focus on all of the following except :
Personal characteristics of the project manager
Personal traits of the subordinates
Behavioral styles of the project manager
Usefulness of authority and power and leadership
(107) Preliminary Cost estimates are developed during the______ phase of the project:
(108) Historical records during close-out are useful to __________ and ____________ for future projects:
Predict trends, highlight problems.
Analyze successes, shortfalls
Analyze strengths, document results
Justify results, set standards
(109) Your client informs that his company has a problem with the current design specs of your product and how it will interface with the existing systems. If this occurs, it could be a major problem for your project. The client is coming to your office in one week to discuss the problem and to see what your team can do to overcome this setback. All previous meetings were informal with this client, but now he wants a formal meeting. What should you do to prepare for this meeting
Update the schedules and assume an active role since the client has not given you the specifics of the potential problem
Make sure that the team has increased productivity so the client can see how efficient your team is performing
Assemble the team and ask them to prepare an agenda for topics to discuss
Make sure that each team member has his assignment in preparation for any handouts and needed plans
(110) The definitive terms of a contract are written during which of the following contract phases?
Post award phase
Pre award phase
(111) A document that formally recognizes the existence of a project is a :
(112) Some organizations are now using 6 Sigma for quality control compared to the usual:
(113) Reducing the impact of a risk event by reducing the possibility of its occurrence is:
(114) In which of the following project management process groups are the most time and money typically spent?
(115) ______ recognizes that a project or phase should begin and commits the organization to do so:
(116) A supplier has withdrawn from your project. A new supplier has been retained. His labor forces are due to arrive at the job site tomorrow. You should :
Meet with the supplier and his forces and establish yourself as the authority in charge.
Bring your team in for introductions and establish a communications exchange
Bring out the communication management plan
Bring out the project plan.
(117) A new project manager is about to begin creating the project's scope of work. One stakeholder wants to add many items to the scope of work. Another stakeholder only wants to describe the functional requirements. The project is important for the project manager's company but a seller will do the work. Which of the following would you advise the project manager to do?
The scope of work should be general to allow the seller to make its own decisions.
The scope of work should be general to allow clarification later.
The scope of work should be detailed to allow clarifications later.
The scope of work should be as detailed as necessary for the type of project.
(118) After the kickoff meeting, two team members engage in a casual conversation about the project objectives and deliverables. It is clear they heard different messages during the meeting. One member is so adamant that the other member gives up arguing the point. After talking to the project manager, the second member confirms that the first member is mistaken. At this point, what is the BEST course of action?
The second team member should send the other team member an e-mail describing what he discovered.
At the next project meeting, the team member should ask the mistaken team member to describe his interpretation so the project manager can get everyone on the same page.
The project manager should send out an e-mail to the team restating the project objectives and deliverables.
At the next project meeting, the project manager should spend time reviewing a documented scope statement with the goal of identifying this and other false assumptions.
(119) During project execution, a project team delivers a project deliverable to the customer. However, the customer neither acknowledges the deliverable nor says if it is acceptable, although an approval is required. What is the BEST thing to do?
Continue with the project
Document the situation
Contact management for help
Call a meeting of the team
(120) You are managing a six months project and have held bi-weekly meetings with your project sponsors. After five-and-a-half months of work, the project is on schedule and budget, but the sponsors are not satisfied with the deliverables. This situation will delay the project completion by one month. The MOST important process that could have prevented this situation is:
Risk monitoring and control.
Scope change control.
(121) When you are closing out a project, what must you do?
Perform project feedback on the team
Obtain sign off from the customer
Review project documentation for completeness
Update the project plans
(122) Financial controls that need to be considered for project plan development do not include:
Standard contract provisions
(123) A project manager has been working on a project for six months with the same team yet the team still shows a lack of support for the project. The best thing for the project manager to do would be to?
Re-evaluate the effectiveness of the reward system the project manager has put in place
talk to each team member's boss
Re-plan the project
Tell the team he needs its support
(124) A project has several teams. Team C has repeatedly missed several deadlines in the past causing Team D to have to crash the critical path several times. As the project leader for Team D, what should you do?
Meet with management alone
Meet with the project manager alone
Meet with the project manager and management
Meet with the project manager and the team C leader
(125) The current update to the schedule performance report shows no schedule variance. Based upon the reporting, you have told the client that the project is on time. However, your team members know that a major milestone has just been missed and that the project will not meet its startup date. This is an indication of poor?
Communication management planning
Scope management planning
(126) A project manager is assigned a project with a team that has already been selected. The first thing the project manager should find out about the team is?
What is each team member's favorite color
Each team member's objectives for working on the project
A list of each team member's tasks
Each team member's role in the project plan
(127) An advisor to a new project manager tells the project manager to create lessons learned at the end of a project. A lessons learned includes?
Any variances and the causes of the variances
Reports from the customer
Reports from management
A list of all the plans
(128) A project management professional can compare earned value performance data to all of the following project management tools EXCEPT:
Critical path analysis
Technical performance metrics
Risk mitigation plans
Forecasted final costs and schedule estimates
(129) The project is completed and the final deliverable given to the customer but the customer refuses to take any action to give final acceptance on the project. The project manager should?
Repeatedly ask for final acceptance
Ask the team for assistance
Document the situation
Do nothing because there is nothing that can be done
(130) Your new product development project has resulted in a highly successful new product. The property, equipment, materials, and personnel of your project are now being integrated into the functional organization. Your project is being terminated by:
(131) The Precedence Diagramming Method :
has finish-to-start task relationships and provides the flexibility of lead and lag time to the activities;
has the activity on the node;
(132) Gantt charts are great for:
Showing tasks relationships
Tracking actual vs planned
Good communications with customer, management and project teams
b and c
(133) Ultimate responsibility for quality management in the project rests with the?
(134) Design of experiments?
identifies which variables have the most influence on a quality outcome
identifies which variables have the least influence on a quality outcome
determines what a quality outcome is
is a method for research and development
(135) You are a project manager for a major information systems project. Someone from the quality department comes to see you about beginning a quality audit of your project. The team, already under pressure to complete the project as soon as possible, takes objection to the audit. You should explain to the team that the purpose of a quality audit is?
part of an ISO 9000 investigation
to check if the customer is following its quality process
to identify lessons learned that can improve performance on the project
to check the accuracy of the costs submitted by the team
(136) You manage a project whose team members have diverse skills and expertise. You want to encourage your staff to pool its knowledge on project issues to make the best decisions possible. The most appropriate management style to use is:
(137) The types of power that have substantial influence on both subordinates and upper management are:
Formal & expert
Reward & penalty
Expert & referent
Formal & referent
(138) Your preferred resource is not available at the time needed. What is the best thing to do?
Negotiate with management to get the resource
Assess your alternatives
Begin the task early
Use reserves to increase resources assigned to those tasks.
(139) An important piece of hardware will be late. What is the first thing to do?
Discuss with team
Use schedule reserves
Use alternate vendor
Go to customer or management
(140) A project has experienced significant delays due to equipment problems, staff attrition, and slow client reviews. The project is 40% complete and has used 60% of the available calendar time. What is the FIRST thing you should do?
Re-baseline the schedule to reflect the new date
Analyze the critical path activities for potential to fast track or crash the schedule
Document the lack of progress and associated issues to management
Identify tasks that have required more time than planned
(141) A functional manager wants to make a change to the time associated with a task, but there is not enough reserve to accommodate the change. Who should authorize the change?
The functional manager
The project manager
The team member performing the work
(142) During the course of a project you have motivated team members, managed conflict, performed personnel administrative functions and negotiated for more resources. These are examples of:
General Project Management
Project Human Resource Management
A Projectized organization
(143) You have been promoted to Manager, Continuous Process Improvement. Your new position:
Is a project because the work will be performed by people
Is not a project because Continuous Process Improvement will continue indefinitely
Is a project because it is constrained by limited resources
Is a project because improvements must be planned, executed, and controlled
(144) Which of the following is not a Project Management knowledge area?
Project Quality Management
Project Procurement Management
Project Configuration Management
Project Risk Management
(145) The state of being totally answerable for the satisfactory completion of a specific assignment is called:
(146) You are responsible for the communication controls for the Genesis series of satellites. Your current assignment is:
(147) Work packages are used to :
Represent units of work at a level where work is performed.
Distinguish one package from all others assigned to a single functional group.
Limit work to be performed to relatively short periods of time.
All of the above.
(148) Network planning methods(PERT/CPM/PDM):
Are usually too complicated for practical use on most projects
Require highly trained specialists for effective use
Always require computer support to be practical
Are based on flow charts and they allow observation of what happens to the project schedule when changes occur to a task's start and stop dates
(149) Earned value can be described as:
The value of the equipment that has been installed as of the current date
The sum of the labor costs that have been incurred on the project date
A method of measuring project performance
A method of measuring the amount of money that has been spent to date
(150) A role of the change control board is to:
issue change requests
represent top management interests in initiating innovation
review the impact of change requests on project costs, schedule, and specifications
schedule changes into PERT networks
identify new areas of project work