PMP Mock Exams
Based on PMBOK 4th Edition
Here are 200 objective type sample questions and their answers are given just below to them. This exam is just to give you an idea of type of questions which may be asked in PMP Certification Exams. Even we have taken full care to give correct answers for all the questions but it is recommended to verify these answers.
In examination you will get each question one by one on computer screen
(1) A Project Manager is at the project kick-off meeting. He confidently states the vision and mission for the project. This PM is exhibiting the following leadership style:
(2) You are in charge of developing a new product for an organization. Your quality metrics are based on the 80th percentile of each of the last three products developed. This is an example of:
(3) The two closing procedures are called:
Contract close out and scope verification
Contract close out and Close Project
Project closure and product verification
Project closure and lessons learned
(4) During the schedule development process the Project Manager may have to go through several iterations of the schedule before establishing the schedule baseline. All of the following are tools and techniques that may be used during this process:
Critical Path Method, GERT, Resource Requirements
Resource Leveling Heuristics, Mathematical Analysis, Calendars
Duration compression, Resource Leveling Heuristics, PERT
GERT, PERT, Leads and Lags
(5) Which of the following models of conflict resolution allows a cooling off period, but seldom resolves the issue in the long term?
(6) The receiver filters messages based on all but the following:
(7) How much time does the typical project manager spend communicating both formally and informally?
(8) Group brainstorming encourages all of the following except:
Analysis of alternatives
(9) The critical element in a project's communication system is the:
(10) System integration consists of:
Assuring that the pieces of a project come together at the right time
Planning for contingencies that may occur throughout the life cycle of the project
The pieces of the project function as an integration unit
a and c
(11) Performance reviews are held to:
Correct the project manager's mistakes.
Provide for answers for upper levels of management
To assess project status or progress
To apprise the project costs and cost trends of the project
(12) A complex project will fit best in what type of organization?
(13) Which of the following could be an appropriate WBS code for a work package at the fourth level in a WBS where the top level code is 1.0?
a and c
b and c
(14) Which of the following Project Scope Management processes involves subdividing the major project deliverables into smaller, more manageable components?
Scope Change Control
(15) The review of key deliverables and project performance at the conclusion of a project phase is called:
a and c
all of the above
(16) Project scope is:
The work that must be done in order to deliver a product with the specified features and functions.
The features and functions that are to be included in a product or service.
A narrative description of work to be performed under contract.
a and b
all of the above
(17)The unique identifiers assigned to each item of a WBS are often known collectively as:
The work package codes
The project identifiers
The code of accounts
The element accounts
(18) The sender of a message is responsible for:
Confirming the message is understood
Ensuring the receiver agrees with the message
Scheduling communication exchange
Presenting the message in the most agreeable manner
(19) What are the best uses of PERT:
Used in the planning phase to do " what if for the project.
Assist in the controlling of changes to the project.
Is used in the process of preparing a WBS for the project.
To measure future consequences of activities.
a and d.
(20) Change requests can occur due to:
An external event such as a change in government regulation.
An error or omission in defining the scope of the product.
An error or omission in defining the scope of the project.
a and c
all of the above
(21) A project plan is:
A formal, approved document used to guide both project execution and project control.
A document issued by senior management that provides the project manager with the authority to apply organizational resources to project activities.
A narrative description of products or services to be supplied.
A document describing the organizational breakdown structure of the company.
(22) Which of the following is NOT an example of a type of schedule report?
(23) The most important criteria in selecting project selection method is:
Ease of use
Cost of using it
(24) What is Team Development?
Setting up a team of people with the skills set that are required
Sending you project team to a PMI seminar
Motivating your project team members
Enhancing the ability of stakeholders to contribute as individuals
Enhancing the ability of the team to function as a team
(25) 3 major processes in Project HRM:
Staff recruitment, project staff planning and team building
HR planning, Acquire Project Team and Develop Project Team
Rewarding, salary reviews and penalties
Staff acquisition, staff training, staff deployment
(26) A project is defined as:
A process of considerable scope that implements a plan.
An endeavor, which is planned, executed, and controlled; performed by people; and constrained by limited resources.
A temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product or service.
An objective based effort of temporary nature.
(27) General management encompasses:
Planning, organizing, staffing, executing, and controlling the operations of an ongoing enterprise.
Business policy, financial management, business economics, contract administration, and legal services necessary for operating an enterprise.
Business strategy, planning and controlling, organizational behavior, procurement, and personnel administration required for managing the ongoing aspect of a business venture.
Organizational development, staffing, marketing and sales, procurement, and contract administration as part of an ongoing organization.
(28) Project management processes can be organized into:
Initiating, planning, contracting, executing, and administration
Designing, developing, testing, and implementing
Initiating, designing, planning, executing, controlling, and implementation
Initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing
(29) ___________ must be measured regularly to identify variance from the plan.
Cost and schedule
(30) A project kick off meeting is usually conducted to:
Setup project team and announce the PM assignment
To draft project charter
Build up team spirit
Define project scope and develop WBS
(31) Which of the following is not an external-unpredictable risk?
Changes in government regulations
Unexpected environmental side effects
(32) Maslow ranked Human needs from the highest to lowest:
Self actualization; self promotion; social; security and physiological needs
Self esteem; self actualization; social; security and physiological
Self actualization; self esteem; social; security and physiological
Self fulfillment; self esteem; social; security and physiological
(33) Which of the following statements concerning contract type is correct?
A fixed price contract contains the most risk for the buyer.
Cost reimbursable contracts offer sellers the highest profit potential.
Lump sum contracts offer sellers the greatest profit potential.
Unit price contracts are illegal in many jurisdictions.
(34) Herzberg identified factors, which, if present, will lead to increased motivation. A typical factor would be:
A dental plan
(35) Your customer ask for a small change in the project, which was not budgeted in the project. It is a small effort as compared to the total project and you need the goodwill for a multimillion dollar on the pipeline. You will
Refuse to do the work
Agree to do the work at no charge
Do the work and bill him later
Assess the cost and schedule impact and tell them you will decide later
(36) You are responsible for ensuring that your seller's performance meets contractual requirements. For effective contract administration, you should:
Hold a bidders conference
Establish the appropriate contract type
Implement the contract change control system
Develop a statement of work
(37) The three major causes of change on a project are:
Replacement of the project manager or key project team members; changes in priorities by senior management; and contractual difficulties.
Changes in the relative importance of time, resources, or cost ; new knowledge about the deliverable; and technological uncertainty
Errors in the initial assessment of how to achieve the goal of the project; new information about the project deliverable; and a new mandate
Unavailability of resources promised by the functional managers; cost overruns; and changes in customer requirements
(38) The purpose of the review of deliverables and project performance at the conclusion of a project phase is to:
Determine how many resources are required to complete the project according to the project baseline
Adjust the schedule and cost baselines based on past performance
Obtain customer acceptance of project deliverables
Determine whether the project should continue to the next phase
(39) Your project is in the final test stage, the user acceptance test. It meets all the product specs and is under planned costs. In term of schedule, this project is ahead. Your customer meet you and requested that he will not accept the product unless you make several changes. What you should do is:
Get the list of the changes and estimate all of them. If the total cost is still within the baseline, you just do it
Estimate the costs and send this to your customer requesting contract modification
Ask the customer to file a Change request
Sit with the customer to review the product specs and tell him/her that you have completed the project.
(40) The delphi Method is best suited for:
Overhead rate estimating
(41) Which of the following methods is least likely to be used for explaining project planning guidelines to the team?
Project Office Memo
Project office directive
Project team meeting
Formal project report
(42) Projects are initiated in response of:
All of the above
(43) The party that needs the change resulting from the project, and who will be its custodian on completion is the:
(44) A document or tool which describes when and how human resources will be brought onto and taken off the project team is called a:
Staffing Management Plan
Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM ).
Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS).
Resource Assignment Chart
(45) In which type of organization is team building likely to be most difficult?
(46) A tool which links the project roles and responsibilities to the project scope definition is called:
Scope Definition Matrix
Responsibility Assignment Matrix
Roles Assignment Matrix
Project Scope and Roles Matrix
(47) Which of the following are outputs from the Communications Planning process?
Communications management plan
b and c
(48) The receiver filters messages based on all but the following:
(49) The sending or conveying of information from one place to another is the process of:
(50) The three major types of communication are:
Written, verbal, and non-verbal.
Verbal, formal documentation, informal documentation.
Verbal, written, and graphic.
Verbal, written, and electronic.