OWA or Outlook Web Application is also known as Outlook Web Access. It was known as Exchange Web Connect (EWC) earlier. It’s actually a webmail service of Microsoft Exchange Server, allowing users to access mailbox including calendars, contacts etc in addition to emails through a web browser. OWA is mostly used by people when they want to access their mailbox via public computers in internet cafes.
OWA requires stable internet connection for the users to work with emails, unlike the Outlook which can be used when there is no internet connection available. With new improvements and features in the OWA, you can make the best use of it.
This feature allows users to quickly compose and reply to mails without opening new windows.
To send to emails simultaneously
- Step 1: Click on the overlaid windows icon at the top right side to open mail in a new window.
To add buttons to the interface,
- Step 1: Click on the drop down arrow in the composing window, usually next to font color
- Step 2: Select buttons from the drop down menu to add them
Moving emails to another folder
- Step 1: Select and mark the emails you want to move by clicking on them. A few options will appear at the right hand side of the Window, namely ‘Delete’, ‘Flag’, ‘Move’.
- Step 2: Click on the Move option
- Step 3: Give the location to which the emails should be moved
- Step 1: Hover the mouse cursor over the email to be deleted. Options will now appear on the right side.
- Step 2: Mark emails that need to be deleted
- Step 3: Click on Delete
Mark a mail as unread
- Step 1: Right click on the email
- Step 2: From the properties that appear in the context menu, click Mark as unread
To view multiple calendars
- Step 1: Open Calendar by clicking on the ‘Calendar’ label in the page
- Step 2: In the new window that appears, click on Merge button on the right side of the window
To view item details in Calendar
- Step 1: Click on an item in the calendar
- Step 2: In the pop-up box that appears, click on the option of your choice. You can choose to accept or decline meetings and edit or delete appointments from the options.
Using Contacts options
- Step 1: Click on ‘People’ at the top right side of the Window. A new window with the contacts will appear.
- Step 2: Select a contact
- Step 3: Now on the contact details which appear on the right, click on Manage. You can choose to link or unlike contacts by clicking the Manage button.
To add contacts to OWA Contacts
- Step 1: Google search the App for OWA
- Step 2: Click on a secure page which allows download
- Step 3: Download the application
- Step 4: Install and run the application
- Step 5: Login with the ID and Password
OWA will now automatically add the contacts to the Contacts in OWA, and also displays more information when you select any of the imported contacts in OWA.
This tutorial covers the basic features added to the Outlook web access interface. Microsoft will keep improving OWA adding more features. In latest browsers and mobile devices, the 2013 version of OWA also allows offline access.
The new OWA version is easy to use and interact, simplifying operations like composing and deleting emails, attaching files, viewing calendars and contacts and linking them. Mails getting composed will also be automatically added to the drafts folder and you will be able to see it whenever you compose mails.