Microsoft Windows Store
Windows Store is an online store from where Windows 8 users can download various free or paid apps. In order to install apps from Windows Store, users must log on to the Windows 8 computer with Microsoft account.
Microsoft account must be used in order to install a free or paid app from Windows Store. When Microsoft account is used to log on to a Windows 8 computer for the very first time, users must register their Microsoft account with Windows Store in order to become eligible to download apps. The entire registration process of Microsoft account with Windows Store includes:
- Providing Microsoft account credentials to register the account with Windows Store after initiating Store window for the very first time.
- Providing payment method after the successful registration of Microsoft account with Windows Store.
Accepted Payment Methods by Windows Store
Windows Store accepts all kinds of credit cards that have valid and accurate information. Moreover, Windows Store also accepts payments through PayPal, which is a globally accepted payment gateway, and is nowadays used by many online shopping stores.
What are Apps?
An app is a free or paid software program or game that users can download and install from Windows Store. As mentioned above, to download and install any type of app (free or paid), Microsoft account must be used. While installing a free app, users are not required to provide their payment method to Windows Store. On the other hand, when users want to install a paid app, they must specify appropriate payment method in order to make online payment, before the desired app is downloaded and installed on the computer.
Unlike earlier versions of Windows operating systems, apps in Windows 8 can be installed using Microsoft account even if no elevated privileges are provided. This eliminates (and sometimes reduces) the requirement of administrator interaction while installing apps even for standard (non-administrator) users.
Registering with Windows Store
To register a Microsoft account with Windows Store in Windows 8, users must follow the steps below:
- Make sure that the Windows 8 computer is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the Microsoft account that is to be registered with Windows Store.
- From the Start screen, click Store tile.
- From Store window, hover mouse to the right corner of the screen.
- From the displayed options in the right, click Settings.
- On Settings pane, click Your account.
- On Your account window, click Sign in.
- On Add your Microsoft account screen, specify the Microsoft account ID and password in the available fields.
- Once specified, click Save to register the Microsoft account with Windows Store.
Adding Payment Method
To add a payment method to Windows Store using Microsoft account in Windows 8, users must follow the steps below:
- Once the Microsoft account is registered with Windows Store, on Your account window, click Add payment method under Payment and billing info section.
- On Payment and billing window, provide the appropriate information in the available fields.
- Once provided, click Submit to add the payment method.
Installing an App from Windows Store
- Ensure that Microsoft account is either used to log on to Windows 8 computer, or the account is registered with Windows Store.
- Make sure that appropriate payment method is specified for the registered Microsoft account in Windows Store. (In case a paid app is to be installed).
- Open Store window by clicking Store tile from the Start screen.
- From the displayed list of apps, click to select the one that is to be installed.
- Once done, click Install button (for free app) or Buy button (for paid app) and follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the selected app.
- Restart the computer if the installation process needs a system reboot.