You might have seen recommendation bars in many websites, such as hongkiat.com. They are mainly used to display links to articles on your website. The recommendation bar is basically a floating box that appears on the right side of the blog or website, offering articles on your website to viewers as ‘Recommended for Reading”. This approach can get you a lot of page views. However, some users don’t like to be interrupted with recommendation bars while they are viewing a page.
This tutorial will instruct you to add a Facebook recommendation bar into your WordPress website.
How to add Facebook recommendation bar
- Step 1: Log in to your WordPress Admin
- Step 2: Go to Plugins and select Add New
- Step 3: Type ‘Facebook’ in the field and click on ‘Search Plugins’
The search results will now appear, with details of the plugin and an option to install the plugin.
- Step 4: Click on the Install Now link
After downloading the package and installing, the computer will display a message that the plugin has been installed successfully.
- Step 5: Click on Activate Plugin
This will add a Facebook plugin to your WordPress website. However, if you want to use the plugin, you should do a few things in Facebook.
Setting up a Facebook app to use the plugin in WordPress
- Step 1: Go to Facebook app page after logging in to Facebook
- Step 2: Click on the “Create New App” button on the top right side of the page
- Step 3: Fill up the form including details in ‘App Name’, ‘App Name Space’
- Step 4: Click ‘Continue’ when you are done
Now you will be asked to enter more details of your new application.
For the Site and Mobile web URLs, make sure you include ‘http://’ at the front and ‘/’ at the end (without quotes)
- Step 5: After filling up the form, click on ‘Save Changes’ Once the changes are saved,follow the below steps
- Step 6: Copy and paste your App ID, your App Secret and the Namespace to a Notepad file
- Step 7: Save the Notepad file and log out of Facebook
Setting up Facebook plugin in WordPress
- Step 1: Go to WordPress Admin and select Facebook on the left sidebar.
- Step 2: Copy and paste or enter the details in the fields (saved in Notepad file)
- Step 3: Click ‘Save Changes’
Now you will be redirected to the ‘Options’ page for plugins.
- Step 4: Check the ‘Recommendations Bar’ checkbox to activate it.
- Step 5: Set the required options. The options include Trigger, Read Time, Action and Side.
Trigger – Indicates the percentage of the page to be scrolled by viewer before the bar appears
Read Time – Time in seconds of the viewing time, after which the bar will appear
Action – Choose to show either the ‘Like’ or ‘Recommend’ button in the bar
Side – Choose where you want the recommendation bar to appear (either bottom left or right)
- Step 6: Click on ‘Save Changes’
The Facebook recommendation bar is now activated and available in the website created in WordPress. To test this yourself, open any article from your blog or website for which the plugin was added. When the article opens, you will be able to see the recommendation bar on the bottom left or right (depending on the settings you chose). The links will also have a ‘Like’ button.
With a simple, easy-to-use interface, the Facebook recommendation bar makes it easier for your viewers and fans to promote your articles, in the blog or website, on Facebook. The bar also features a ‘Like’ button. However, only two articles appear in the bar at a time.